Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here and felt this was the best place to go. I have never been a dog person, not that I disliked them, really a cat person. Anyways, I was taking a long walk yesterday.

There was a ~15lb dog walking confusedly on the sidewalk. He had a collar with a shoelace for a leash. He was shivering so violently and initially terrified of me when I approached him. I knelt down and offered my hand for him to sniff. Initially I thought it was someone that tied their dog outside to poop/pee and the "leash" just broke off. I went to the nearest house to notify the possible owner. They said it was not theirs. I asked walkers-by if it was theirs, no claims other than they say the dog walking around earlier.

I took the dog and went into various shops inquiring about anyone looking for a dog. Again, no claims other than reports of seeing the dog wandering earlier. Everyone felt so sorry for him and one restaurant even offered to let us rest a bit for him to warm up.

The local shelters said I must go first to the government run domestic animal center, where lost and found animals are consolidated for easier re-uniting. I know many unclaimed animals get euthanized and was already starting to get attached. We were so far from my house by now and I walked him towards the house. He was shivering so much and looked like he had trouble urinating, he'd strain and no urine would come, once there was a small trickle. It was snowing outside and the dog was wet. I opened my coat, picked him up, held him against my chest and covered him as best I could. Walked nearly a mile to home and offered him some water.

At the animal center, no microchip was found. The dog was un-neutered. We gave kept the case number and were told he will be kept 7-10 days for the owner to return. If no claims are made, he will go to a shelter for a new home.

I think I did the right thing. But somehow this still feels so bad. It is such a sad story and sometimes I wonder if I inappropriately/prematurely took the dog. Then again, it was very possible he was lost right? I'll be checking on him too.

Today I am putting up fliers with pics in case the owner comes back looking. Is there any more I can do? Was this the right thing?

Pics below:

if those didn't work, here are the URLs
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/hongyin1_photos/100220_161617.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/hongyin1_photos/100220_161536.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/hongyin1_photos/100220_161444.jpg

·
Registered
307 Posts
absolutely, you did the right thing and bless you for that!

a couple of things you can do...go back to the neighborhood where you picked him up and see if there are any kids around. many times, kids will know what dog belongs to what house just because they are more apt to be outside playing more often than their parents are. :) also, you can check with the mail carrier in that area. most mail carriers are well aware of which dog belongs to which house!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts