Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with this?

I feed my dogs primarily Wellness Core dry food and mix in a little bit of random, good, canned food to keep things interesting (both are picky eaters). A couple of weeks ago, I was up in NH and ended up at an obscure, primarly reptile, pet store. They had some of this Abady Green Beef Tripe, canned dog food. I picked up a couple of cans and my dogs are just IN LOVE with it. When I put that in with their kibble, they gobble everything up, the only time they eat their dinners promptly without messing around, trading, coming back later and engaging in other, "I'm not so sure about this dinner" drama.

This stuff STINKS, bad. Is it any good? Should I keep getting it for them? It's not cheap, at $2.50 a can, but they don't eat much canned food, I'd probably go through 3-4 cans a week for the two dogs.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Tripe smells awful, but it's not bad. You could probably get it cheaper whole from a butcher and then cutting it up and mixing it in the food. Though once again, there's the smell issue (which is worse if you're cooking it yourself).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probably don't actually want to know this, but what is tripe?
Stomach (not sure which parts) from ruminants like cows. The green tripe hasn't been cleaned and still has the products of digestion in it, along with cow digestive juices. It really smells bad, but the doggies are ga ga over it.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
It's the stomach, which is why it stinks. Green tripe is not available for human consumption, but you can often find the scalded/bleached white tripe at the grocery store (not beneficial for dogs). I haven't found anywhere to buy green tripe except online like www.greentripe.com

picture from the internet of a large piece:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts