Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

A weird sleeping behaviour in my dog

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Sarah~ 
#1 ·
Hi. I have a 9 year old Pomeranian. Recently he's been breathing erratically from time to time while he's sleeping. Now, normally I wouldn't think anything of it... I know dogs dream and noises, erratic breathing and limb movement can follow, but there is more.
While he's breathing like that, which will last for 5 minutes tops, he's got his eyes open, and they're rolling around.
I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that he's got epilepsy, or just hormonal change with old age, but I figured I'd see if anybody else has heard of or seen this in other dogs. And, this is pretty recent. I think he started doing this about a couple of months ago.

#3 ·
Yeah, that was my first thought, but that's not really how his seizures are... At least not the ones I've caught when he's awake.

#5 ·
Yeah. It's not that long ago that his seizures were hardly noticeable, they were so tiny. A few months ago he had a little accident which left him unconscious for a few minutes, and about a month after that he had his first "real" seizure. So, I guess his epilepsy might be evolving a little.

#6 ·
Remmy has had occasional seizures for the past few years. He usually goes months between them, last year he had one in Jan. one in Sept. and then had one in Nov. Up until the Nov. one, he has simply gone stiff, fallen over and laid there for a few minutes, come out of them and been back to normal. In Nov. he had three in a row and luckily I was near the Vet so I took him in. They gave him some Atavan and he came out of them. He has been fine ever since so the Vet does not want to put him on anything but gave me some rectal Atavan to give him.

There is no way to tell for sure that it is epilepsy or not, so it is a wait and see. In between he is perfectly normal, I do Agility with him and he loves it and has never had a seizure while being active, they have usually been after he has been sleeping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.