Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a quick video of Hazel. She looks just like any video/picture of a female english mastiff puppy I have seen, but she is only just reach 100lbs at 10.5 months, and to me that seems small for her age. any opinions?

her papers say she's pure, but she was gotten from pet lands..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb6IDjBJadw

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
If she came from a petstore, I'm assuming Petlands is a petstore, then there is no proof of her being purebred (not pure BREAD..lol) but that doesn't mean she isn't either. What it does mean is she's most likely not a good example of a purebred english mastiff and that may mean she will be smaller, more likely to have health issues etc. Dogs from petstores are almost always from puppy mills where the parents are not screened for health issues, temperament etc which means it's a bit of a crap shoot with petstore puppies.

Doesn't mean she isn't cute and wonderful either. She is definitely cute and her brindle is quite awesome.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Well, I hope she isn't breaded. I don't personally eat dogs. ;)

I don't know much about Mastiffs to tell you pure or not. If she is from a Pet land however, it is likely she isn't well bred. And papers from them especially mean nothing. She is very pretty, though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I hope she isn't breaded. I don't personally eat dogs. ;)

I don't know much about Mastiffs to tell you pure or not. If she is from a Pet land however, it is likely she isn't well bred. And papers from them especially mean nothing. She is very pretty, though.
lol I meant purebred, dunno why I wrote purebread.

I agree she is adorable and sweet and beautiful. I dont care so much if she is a purebred, I just was curious. I personally didnt get her from petlands, I got her from a friend who could no longer take care of her. my mindset was "an english mastiff for free? hell ya!" I wouldnt replace her for anything. she is such a lover. the cat will claw into her face and bite her (playfully of course) and she will just sit there and take it. I know she will be good for our soon to come baby girl.

I figured if she is smaller than the average mastiff, she would have less health problems, because she has less weight on her hips and joints...am I wrong?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I figured if she is smaller than the average mastiff, she would have less health problems, because she has less weight on her hips and joints...am I wrong?
It all has to do with the genetic predisposition to joint problems, not necessarily size. I know a Mini Aussie that has had to have surgery on both hips because of hip dysplasia, and she can't be more than 30 lbs. I figure that your best bet to keep her healthy is to feed her high quality large breed puppy food while she's growing, and avoid any extra stress on her joints until she's at least 2 years old, such as running or other high impacts (Like flying down the stairs) and also don't add any extra weight onto her joints until 2, too. This includes the weight of fat, so keep her lean and her joints will be healthier. :)

I don't have any opinion of whether or not she's purebred, but she sure is beautiful! I love her tiger stripes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It all has to do with the genetic predisposition to joint problems, not necessarily size. I know a Mini Aussie that has had to have surgery on both hips because of hip dysplasia, and she can't be more than 30 lbs. I figure that your best bet to keep her healthy is to feed her high quality large breed puppy food while she's growing, and avoid any extra stress on her joints until she's at least 2 years old, such as running or other high impacts (Like flying down the stairs) and also don't add any extra weight onto her joints until 2, too. This includes the weight of fat, so keep her lean and her joints will be healthier. :)

I don't have any opinion of whether or not she's purebred, but she sure is beautiful! I love her tiger stripes.
hmmm.. wel i go take her to the dogpark like once a week to let her run around for a good half hour/hour.. should i stop doing that?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
hmmm.. wel i go take her to the dogpark like once a week to let her run around for a good half hour/hour.. should i stop doing that?
Romping and playing with dogs on dirt or grass isn't necessarily the same as doing something like jogging non-stop on pavement, in my opinion. Sorry for not making that clearer. However, I'm not really an expert. Maybe a large-breed owner will show up and give their input :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
For a petstore puppy,your dog will most likely have some health issues. So make sure you are aware of that. petstores get dogs from puppy mills, and they are not respoinsible breeders

·
Super Moderator
11,799 Posts
10-year-old thread. Please stop digging these up. In most cases, the original participants aren't even on the forum now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.