Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought of an idea that I'm wondering if it would help Wally learn names of objects.

Currently, I present the object and say the name as he investigates it. Then c/t him.

I'm wondering if I switch the order of those events around as follows:

-Put out object
-Wally interacts
-I say name and give a treat

Would that help him learn faster? I'd be using the name of the object as something of a marker (instead of the click).

Given that Wally is marker-savvy and shaping-savvy, would this approach help the chances of him learning an object's name?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out this video Object recognition It basically goes by what you are saying but has some advanced bits.

The way you are currently teaching is the most efficient that I have used. The newer way would work, but be slower. Using a second object will help speed things up actually, as he learns that it's the object that is the focus, not say, you pointing, or go where the object is located. A client related a story to me where he had trained this with a singular object, and when he went to show off for his buddies, the dog went over to the spot they did the training at and stared at the floor!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out this video Object recognition It basically goes by what you are saying but has some advanced bits.

The way you are currently teaching is the most efficient that I have used. The newer way would work, but be slower. Using a second object will help speed things up actually, as he learns that it's the object that is the focus, not say, you pointing, or go where the object is located. A client related a story to me where he had trained this with a singular object, and when he went to show off for his buddies, the dog went over to the spot they did the training at and stared at the floor!
Thanks for the vid link and advice. That's a really funny story :D I can only imagine what that would look like. The dog is probably like "okay, it's gonna show up if I keep staring long enough!"

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Definitely watch other videos by SupernaturalBC2008 and SupernaturalBC2009, excellent quality and on some really interesting topics/skills.

Another method you might want to investigate is "Model-Rival." It's how they taught Alex the Parrot a lot of his words, and a while ago Patricia McConnell was teaching her dog Willie names of his toys using that method. I don't recall how it went though.

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
Sometimes I think we over think training.

When I play with my dog and her ball, I use the name of the object a lot. Like every time she chases it I say the word "ball" and when we start play I use the word "Ball" and pretty soon I am saying "Go get your ball" and she comes with it. If she comes with another toy I tell her "Not your ball" and do not play. We play when she brings the right thing.....

And from this we try other stuff.... "Bone" "Tug" "Frisbee" and so forth....

Train one thing at a time.

Had a poodle years back who knew all kinds of different objects we taught him as a course of just living with him.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Alex is why I also need a parrot, in addition to a horse. And probably a chicken or two. Must train all of the things!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I play with my dog and her ball, I use the name of the object a lot. Like every time she chases it I say the word "ball" and when we start play I use the word "Ball" and pretty soon I am saying "Go get your ball" and she comes with it. If she comes with another toy I tell her "Not your ball" and do not play. We play when she brings the right thing.....
I'm actually doing something like this as well. I get an object out and make him get it before we do anything. Like if he wants to go out, he has to get the ball. Then to walk, he has to get the ball. He puts it down to sniff and pee, then he has to go get it to keep walking. Or to go downstairs. Or upstairs, or whatever.

That said, in the 3 years I've been caring for him, he's learned exactly two behaviors in a similar method: Going downstairs and going to his crate. I don't think we "play" consistently enough for this to work. Those two things were everyday, multiple times a day sorta things. He's not much of a player, and usually not with objects (unless I count as an object LOL).

Plus, multiple ways can help him understand faster, no? :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Alex is why I also need a parrot, in addition to a horse. And probably a chicken or two. Must train all of the things!
Isn't it crazy!
I fell like I've cracked the dog thing now i will focus on the goldfish or maybe i need a rabbit or a chicken.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here is a link to Patricia McConnell's Model-Rival page. Looks interesting.

http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/the-model-rival-method
Pretty interesting.

I wonder if this can work with one person. I'm usually alone when I'm training Wally (minimizes distractions since he's so freaking nosy/wary about people).

I'll try and see if something.

BTW, Willie's reaction with the second object is a lot like Wally's reaction as well.

Isn't it crazy!
I fell like I've cracked the dog thing now i will focus on the goldfish or maybe i need a rabbit or a chicken.
LOL I'm trying to train my finger in the water is a "marker" for my betta :D

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Not cut out for a parrot, but I will own a pigeon sometime in my life. LOL

And I totally meant Pepperberg** not Pennypacker! Gosh these Psych names are so confusing.

KB, I really really want to try this stuff with Marge when I get some free time, so post away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.