Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think about all the qualites of your favorite breed of dog.

Now...

What's the opposite? What breed is as far away in traits from your favorite breed as possible?

This doesn't necessarily mean a breed you hate...just one that is the opposite of the one you love..

My favorite breed is the American Pit Bull Terrier.

they have short coats. when properly bred there is no extreme exaggerated physical traits. they are a medium to large physically strong breed.

so Im thinking the opposite would be something like a Peke with profuse coat, short nose and legs and small size. I like Pekes though...they are a snorty kind of cute.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
The dogs furthest down my list are herding dogs, bully breeds and hounds. I don't like herding behavior or energy level of herding breeds. With bully breeds they're just too strong- built like tanks and even their tail wagging against me hurts. Hounds are too independent/stubborn and I can't stand their baying.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Good one Zim. This is hard for me..

If I HAD to pick a favorite breed, it'd probably be the Doberman. I like the slick look, the fact that they are intelligent, able to do many different jobs, medium-ish size, and I can deal with some level of aloofness or even slight intolerance of strangers that could crop up in some lines (but I wouldn't want to of course!). I DO need a dog that can cuddle with me, but that's likely a combination of both nature and nurture.

So, opposite for me would probably be.. wow I don't really know. Maybe a Maltese? Yappy, small, needs gromming, can be overly friendly, not particularly distinguished in any field of work. Of course these are just generalizations though :)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I like dogs who are easy to train, reasonably friendly with people and other dogs and can be off leash...looks wise I like a coated dog. My favorite breeds are shelties and border collies...I'd say the opposite of that would be an english bulldog or basset hound.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm a mutt guy and am one of the lucky ones who owns what I think is my ideal dog - Toby!! He's big, black, longer coat, easy going but will run a marathon with you, trainable but not dumb enough to listen to every word you say, and confident enough not be scared but scared enough not to be stupid.

The opposite - Fergus!! LOL JK

He does fit many of the opposites though: smaller, short coat, high strung, stubborn, overly bold. I'd say the extreme of these characteristics would be a pug.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Im with Sheltie mom.

I love herding breeds, easy to train, great long coat I love, smart as a whip, versatile in many different things, loyal, eager to please.

Opposite would be some type of hound Im sure, Ill say beagle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My favorite is great pyrenees and cardigan welsh corgis. Plus I just love herding/guardian dogs.

So I guess chihuahuas, they're so tiny (which isn't always a bad thing) and clingy. Plus theres just something else about they're personality that rubs me wrong. But don't get me wrong my mom has a 4½lbs chihuahua/min pin mix who I just adore she is very sweet, to people she knows. Plus I had rescued her mom and 3 months later she had 5 puppies, Wishbone was the middle child and I had to cut her cord :eek:

·
Banned
28 Posts
Well my favorite is a Pekingese, they're not agressive, yappy or neurotic, they are graceful and easy to train. They are not couch potato type dogs like some ppl think, mine jump into the river, roll in mud and run like the wind. Always ready to play but listen very well and want to please you, Have beautiful personalities. They are very independant too, they will love you like you're the only thing in the world but also enjoy their alone time.

So I guess the oppostie of that would be :

Clingy
Prissy
Yappy
Lazy
Hard to train
Clumsy

I don't know what that would be?...lol
Maybe a Yorkie or a Chihuahua
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure many don't fit in that catagory
they are pretty dogs, just not my fav...

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Great thread idea!

I like robust dogs. Dogs that you can roughhouse with without worrying about snapping their bones.

I like dogs that are independent, and are happier lying a few feet away or at your feet instead of in your lap or leaning against your leg.

I like a dog that knows what it was made for without having to be shown.

I like a dog that has a low-maintenance coat and isn't fussy about food.

I think the breed on the opposite end of my spectrum would probably be a long-haired Chi or a Pom. Maybe it's because I haven't met well-bred specimens of these breeds, but they're just everything I'm not looking for in a dog.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My favorite breed is the GSD. Loyal, intelligent, protective, fearless, and somewhat goofy.

I think the opposite of that might be Bassett Hound. I don't dislike them, but I think the traits are opposite.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have two favorite breed, the Doberman and the Irish Wolfhound. I like them because the coat is easy to care for, they are LARGE, and trainability is high.

My opposite would probably be...a pomeranian? Or some other small breed with a really long coat. :D

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have no favorite breed.. And the breeds I consider my cup of tea are all so different it's insane. I love Great Danes, Australian Shepherds, Chihuahuas, Corgis, Irish Wolfhounds, Pits.. Can't say no to a well bred Doberman..

I love both easy trainability and those stubborn little girls and guys who test your determination and commitment. I love both tranquil low-energy dogs and hyper always-on-the-go dogs. I have grooming experience with a long haired double coated dog and my short-haired Chihuahua. I LOVE all sizes of dogs, although I used to believe that I'd hate a toy breed..

I think the only breeds I would never consider simply because of their vocalizations and difficulty of focus would be scenthounds. I don't think I could ever own any breed of scenthound.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I like giant breed dogs
But I also like "Muscular" or working breeds

So my opposite would definitely be small breeds. There are a few I would own but not many.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
This is difficult! My favorite breeds are so different.
Favorites: Beagle and Doberman
I love that the beagle is medium sized, it can run 5 miles or have a short little walk and be content. My little girl is very trainable, picks up tricks very well and doens't typically need a lot of repetition. I love their low maintenance coat and they are very versatile dogs. Their size is perfect for me and they are friendly.

Doberman- they are very elegant. They are hardy dogs. They are very loyal and I too like their aloofness, most I've met have a great bond with their owners. They are absolutely stunning dogs and their coat is relatively easy to care for.

What I like in a dog- hyperness, easy coat to care for, trainability, stamina, not a dog that's constantly wanting a kiss but a dog who is affectionate but so that they are annoying.

Breeds I probably wouldn't do well with- small yorkies and chihuahuas, any couch potato breed, Newfoundland, Dauchshunds, CCs.

I hate saying breeds I wouldn't want because it really depends dog to dog and how it's raised. Most beagles are relatively calm but thank god my girl is hyper. I like a dog that you have to run 5 miles with to calm down or a dog that loves to play any time of the day. My chihuahua barks alot, is interested in anything, isn't very trainable, and is really too small to do alot, and he's lazy. I love my little chi though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I have two chihuahuas and I have to say I am extremely fond of the breed. They have a million good qualities, they are endlessly sweet and are very low maintenance (as long as spending as much time with them as possible is not considered high maintenance).

I suppose the opposite breed for me would be a Rottweiler. I'm sure they can be very friendly but I perceive them as the ultimate guard dog, huge, and if not very well trained, it can be a real issue. (I would like to add that I do not dislike Rottweilers or anything, just see them as the opposite of a chihuahua...)

·
Registered
301 Posts
my favorites are Rottweilers and Dobermans. My least favorite are English bull dogs, and ANY little yappy dogs! I don't like high maitenance dogs.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well, I have a Rott and Chi. The Rott is great because he's big (love big dogs), he's goofy, and I can play with him. The Chi is tiny, so she's very portable, welcome in stores, and she cuddles endlessly. So I think I'd never like to have a sighthound. I would go nuts trying to walk it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
399 Posts
My fav would be the terriers, they are brave, independant, They love to cuddle, they dont shed. I can take my westie anywhere. They love the outdoors and are not afraid to get dirty and they can handle the crazy changes of our Alberta weather. Although lots of people dont like this I love their prey drive. I live on a farm and that works out for us! They are also very protective of their owners and are aloof with strangers, Their a one or two person dog, which I also like. I like how their coats are harsh and wiry so I dont have to worry about their skin getting hurt or scratched while we are in the woods.

What I dont like is a dog that is a couch potato, that cant handle the harsh winter weather, or going hiking or camping. I dont like an overly needy dog. I need a dog that can stand up for themselves. I dont like dogs that are overly friendly with strangers. I loath yappy dogs that are high maintence

The group of dog that I would stay away from is the toy group or some of the bullies.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've always loved herding breeds. I love the owner attentive dogs including some breeds such as brittany spaniels.
I am, of course, currently obsessed with catahoulas.

The opposite...
The 'what's in it for me' type dogs. Which is sad because I adore bluetick coonhounds. Beautiful dogs, they are.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts