Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chazz has a perianal fistula.

This is what I know right now about this condition.

This is a website that a friend sent me about this disease.

http://members.tripod.com/~perianal-fistulas/MainIndex.html

It is a rare occurrence. My vet has been practicing for 20 years and this is only the 2nd time he's seen this condition. Last time was 12 years ago and it was a GSD and ended badly. The dog was 4 y.o. when they started treatment and 1 year and several surgeries later the dog was euthanized.

It is mainly GSDs that have this problem. Surgeries do not guarantee successful treatment of this problem because the area does not heal and the condition most often recurrs within 6 months of surgery.

Most dogs that have had the surgeries (usually multiple surgeries) ultimately end up euthanized because the fistule returns or the surgical area does not heal and/or the dog becomes incontinent (which will happen whether surgery is involved or not).

It's not cancer, but it's just as bad in that the prognosis is BAD.
The vet told me that Chazz has about 6 months (+/-) before it gets worse and it becomes extremely uncomfortable for him and incontincence and self mutilation becomes an issue.

Antiobiotics may/may not prolong the worsening of the condition, but we're trying it.

I will NOT put him through multiple surgeries when there is no guarantee of success. He's been through so much already I don't think he would survive any more surgeries.

I'm a mess right now.

I'd like to know if anyone here has dealt with this particular disease. Do you have any encouraging words? Anything that you experienced that might be of help?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I don't have experiance or anything that would really make you feel better. I'm so sorry Reno. :(

Please know that your in my thoughts and prayers for the healing of both of you.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Oh wow. :( I am so sorry about the news. Big hugs to you and Chazz.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I'm sorry Renoman, I don't know anything about the condition, but I'm so sorry you & Chazz are going thru this :( You're both in my thoughts.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that. Sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

as far as experience goes, the vet I work for treated something like this (I do not remember if that is exactly what he called it, but I know it was a fistula in the anal area). He did a procedure where he inserted capsules filled with sugar into the fistula. This, I believe, caused a granulation of the tissue. I do hot have much information at all on this (I do not know if it was for the condition you are describing, exactly what he did, or how well it worked... all that important stuff) but I vaguely remember him being very excited about this treatment he learned about.

Good luck and once again, I am very sorry.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am so sorry to hear that. Sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

as far as experience goes, the vet I work for treated something like this (I do not remember if that is exactly what he called it, but I know it was a fistula in the anal area). He did a procedure where he inserted capsules filled with sugar into the fistula. This, I believe, caused a granulation of the tissue. I do hot have much information at all on this (I do not know if it was for the condition you are describing, exactly what he did, or how well it worked... all that important stuff) but I vaguely remember him being very excited about this treatment he learned about.

Good luck and once again, I am very sorry.
Craven, when I talk to my vet on Monday I will ask him about this...

Thank you all for your kind words and well wishes. I appreciate them and I will refer to them in the coming months I'm sure. :(

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have any pearls of wisdom to offer here, just sending you and Chazz our best wishes and lots of love. Hang in there K

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks K...

Just be there when I need ya.. that's all I ask :(

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I'm sorry I am similarly lacking in useful experience, but I am sending you and Chazz lots of hope and love.

*hugs* to you both

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Chazz. I know nothing about this condition but know i'm thinking about you guys - Hugs and kisses hun.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
We had a dog that a vet I worked for treated for this condition. She prescribed an ointment that is used for cancer patients. When I go to work tomorrow I will find out what the ointment/cream was. I know that it was not cheap but the fistula did heal but it took a very long time.

I goggled it and found the ointment!

Here is a link

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1476229

Ask your vet about it. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Reno, I'm so sorry for Chazz and you. Know that I am thinking of you. I wish there was more that I could do.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I'm so so sorry Reno :( Give Chazz a big hug from me..

I second the idea about the ointment, I've heard about it being used for this condition.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Reno, I am so sorry to hear about poor Chazz. I will pray for you and Chazz but have no experience with such a condition to offer you. You know I am here for you, when you need me. Give that boy a hug for me.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you guys! I really appreciate it.

DM and Agility Collie Mom, thank you for the links. I will absolutely check them out today.

The vet did mention a topical treatment. He couldn't remember the name of it because it had been so long since he'd treated the other dog. I will discuss it with him further on Monday.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You're welcome. Please keep us updated on Chazz's progress. Good thoughts are coming to Chazz and you. If I find out anything else I will post. The vet that treated this dog no longer works at the clinic because we have a new owner. I will look at the records and see if there is anything else in her notes.
Good luck to you both.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Reno, I am sooo sorry to hear of this. I don't have any advice on this condition, but I am sending positive thoughts your way and will be here for ya! I wish I could offer more, but Giving you both a hug from Georgia!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts