Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this forum and have a tragic story and am looking for some insight. We just moved into a new home about three weeks ago and we have two dogs. They are a female black lab and a male german shorthair which are two years old. Anyway I got a call from daughter yesterday afternoon at work and she told me one of our dogs hurt the neighbors dog real bad. Our dogs were in our yard which has an underground fence and the dogs are very well trained and know the boundries of the fence. The problem is the neighbors let their little dog named Bear run around the neighborhood. They don't have a fence nor do they leash the dog. Anyway my wife fed our dogs and let them outside and they like to snoop in the garage which is a an oversized triple car garage and not to mention it's cool in there. Well the neighbors dog was in our garage and probably suprised our GSP and the outcome was not good for Bear. My wife heard the terrible noise and saw Bear lying there and rushed him to the vet. She contacted the neighbors and the husband met her at the vet. My wife went over later that evening to inquire about Bear and he did not make it. They said they were not happy with us and that was that. My wife, kids and I are heartboken about this. Our dogs are wonderful with adults and kids alike but somehow I keep telling myself this could have all been avoided is the neighbors were more responsible for their dog. Any thoughts or suggestions what we can do.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The fault lies with the owners of Bear, IMO. You risk your dogs live when you let him or her run the neighborhood unleashed and unsupervised, unfortunately it took a life for them to learn that lesson. Since you now know your dog is territorial, I would always check outside before letting him out, or consider a solid fence to keep other dogs (and people) out of your yard.

I'm sorry to everyone involved:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand about the fence but I should not have to check my yard or property every time we let the dogs out. We also had no idea that our dogs would behave like that. They have never shown agressiveness nor that they were territorial. I just think they were suprised to see something something strange in the garage.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Definitely not your fault or your dogs. I mean your dog didn't have to hurt the little dog but since no one saw it you don't know if it was your dog or Bear. As far as legal action goes I'm sure there is nothing they can do to you, actually quite the opposite. If your dog sustained any injuries from Bear then you could take action against them. One time one of our cats was sunbathing in our yard and a neighbor's dog was loose and he came right up on our cat and killed him very violently in front of my little brother...We definitely could've sued or something because it was their dog in my yard. You're really just lucky that Bear wasn't a big dog that could've hurt your dog! Hopefully little Bear's owners learned a lesson. Irresponsible dog owners kill me. A dog had to loose it's life just to teach 2 people a lesson about leashes and fences. Ugh. :mad:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Certainly tragic and I'm sorry to hear about your neighbors dog. I would also put the blame on them as you really did nothing wrong and they shouldn't have their dog roaming around, but this is always the fear w/ this type of "fence". I'm not saying it's your fault, but it sounds like a regular fence would have prevented this.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I understand about the fence but I should not have to check my yard or property every time we let the dogs out. We also had no idea that our dogs would behave like that. They have never shown agressiveness nor that they were territorial. I just think they were suprised to see something something strange in the garage.
No, you shouldn't have to. But, if it was me, I would. What if next time there is a kid that wandered into your yard? Hopefully your dogs wouldn't do anything, but if he thinks he should be defending the property, he might. Its not abnormal for a dog to protect its home.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I understand about the fence but I should not have to check my yard or property every time we let the dogs out.
I completely agree...you absolutely shouldn't HAVE to check your yard prior to letting the dogs out. However, not everyone is as responsible of a dog owner as you are. Even if they don't have a leg to stand on, they could try to take some sort of legal action and then you have the headache and cost of dealing with that. So for your dogs' safety and your own peace of mind, it probably would be best to just make it a habit to take a quick look around.

Also, if you see a neighbor letting a dog roam around your neighborhood loose, it's well within your rights to call animal control on them. Again, for your own dogs' safety if nothing else.

So sorry this happened. :(

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Can you put up a regular fence? That would solve all the problems. Without knowing exactly what you're dealing with you could potentially have one or more DA dogs on your hands and having them roam an area with no physical fence and be a huge liability.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I also agree on putting up a regular fence or privacy fence!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
The blame is on Bear's owners, not at all on you or your dogs.

But this is one more reason I don't like underground fences.....it doesn't keep dogs in or out as well as a real fence. :(

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, this happened inside your garage? If it did, your dog was protecting it's property. It is NOT your fault. Dogs do surprising things when they feel there is danger or if something is not right.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, this happened inside your garage? If it did, your dog was protecting it's property. It is NOT your fault. Dogs do surprising things when they feel there is danger or if something is not right.
The dogs weren't monitored though so you don't know for sure what happened. The neighbors to the south of me were playing fetch with their dog. The guy accidentally threw the ball over the fence and it bounced into my yard. The guy jumped over the fence to get the ball. I was watching all of this inside my house. I have no problems with them coming into my yard to get a ball or something that got tossed over the fence. Zero and Brutus both barked at the guy, but neither made any attempt to attack him. We don't know what happened inside the garage.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
While I don't think it's was your or your dogs fault, I would still put up a regular fence. The next dog to wander in might kill one of your dogs instead of the other way around.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
FWIW when the day comes and you are held liable for your own dog in your own garage who comes upon and damages someone else's dog who has been let run free and is in YOUR garage... Well, that just takes the cake.

The tough thing is being new on the block.

Does where you live have a leash law? If so, the entire responsibility is with the owner of the dog with NO fence at all.

Yes.. I thought of an electronic fence but rejected it because other dogs can come in and attack my dog. Solid fence in conjunction with the electronic fence is really good.

However, while I understand you feel bad, the neighbor feels bad, the neighbor let their dog run. I am sure they woud blame the driver of a car if their dog had been killed that way.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened. I would feel very bad as well. I'm not sure what you can do--the neighbors have said they are unhappy, and I doubt there is anything you can say or do to make them feel better. I'm trying to put myself in that situation and think what I would want, and I just don't know.

No, you shouldn't have to. But, if it was me, I would.
I do agree with this, however. It's better to be safe than sorry, especially after one tragic experience. Taking a few seconds to look could prevent another one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That is so scary and sad...I hope that they dont decide to lie or make a big deal for you, it could get expensive even if it isnt your fault.Also you must realize that once your dogs have done something like this they may see other small animals as prey, cats etc.IDK I would put up a real fence after an incident like this for you own safety as well as others..I would at the least test your dogs on a leash and see their reaction to small animals just to make sure it didnt awaken some unwanted behavior....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was just at my vet's office talking to him about the ordeal and the neighbor talked to him as well today. The neighbor said his dog has been going around the block and our house for four years. So I assume his dog considered our garage his territory. He asked if he should call animal control and our vet said absolutly not and that he has cared for our dogs for 2 years and that they were wonderful pets. He said they had a confrontation that ended in tragedy.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I was just at my vet's office talking to him about the ordeal and the neighbor talked to him as well today. The neighbor said his dog has been going around the block and our house for four years. So I assume his dog considered our garage his territory. He asked if he should call animal control and our vet said absolutly not and that he has cared for our dogs for 2 years and that they were wonderful pets. He said they had a confrontation that ended in tragedy.
Good for your vet!!! So if there is a law suit, then your vet will be on your side. I'm surprised it has taken 4 years for such a tragedy to happen.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Bottom line: they should've had their dog confined.
I can't stand people that let their dogs wander. It rarely ends well.
The worst they can do is have your dogs quarantined for a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts