Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a person of routine. Each day I come home from work, Usually greeted by howls from my boys which are in my bedroom. They used to have the run of the house but the exuberant chase of the mailman that left my new front door without glass and the fun chase of squirrels that knocked the sliding glass door clean off the house has made for a change. They are gaited into the back of the house.

Anyway, I come home, I listen to the messages on my answering machine while I put food into their bowls in the kitchen. Today there was a message from animal control, they found Carsten running loose in Allouez and he was now at the Animal hospital, please call them right away. What???? I never let my dogs out during the day when I am not there, how did he get out? I am old and fat but I literally RAN full on to the back of the house to see if Carsten was there. Thank You GOD, there he was. The relief came as fast as the sick feeling that came over me. You know the one, where your head gets hot and feels it is going to explode, you can't hear anything else and you suddenly feel you are going to throw up.

I called AC back immediately and spoke to a friend of mine who is in that area. She said "yeah, I got a Gorgeous Male Rottie and brought it to Riverside (the vet) and asked if he looked familiar to them. They thought it was Carsten and the Micro-chip wasn't working right. The dog had been taken care of and when the vet said the name "Carsten?" the dog sad and cocked his head. My friend said, "It can't be Carsten, his nails are too long." lol Thank God it wasn't and Thank God that dog was alright too. It was a scare I didn't need but a happy ending anyhow. Apparently the owner called the police and they were able to direct her to my vet where the dog was being held. My friend wouldn't take him to the shelter which is normal practice thinking he was my dog. My vet let her house him there thinking it was my dog. Glad people were looking out for my boy even though he was safe and snug and sleeping happily on his mama's bed. (Where he isn't allowed)

Anyhow, just had to share my scary moment. I know you have all had those as well but sheesh, it is hard to deal with for that very very brief second that it happened.

Here is the little boy blissfully unaware of the panic his mother felt for a moment. I think that he thought I was running toward him because he was on the bed and wasn't supposed to be because he flew off the bed and laid down on the floor. ha ha

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Glad that your story had a happy ending! Whew!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm glad it wasn't your Carsten.

Oddly enough this happened to me about 9 years ago, so I know where you're coming from. I had a message on my answering machine from a vet's office and the police, telling my my dog Casey was dead; hit by a car. I ran upstairs to his crate and called them back asap. The vet didn't even want to hear that it wasn't Casey! She said, "Well, the license says he's yours." I told her there had to be a mix up on the license because Casey was standing next to me wagging his tail and waiting for dinner. Could it be his ghost? The police were very obliging, but what vet's office would argue that your obviously, living breathing dog was dead? Seriously.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad it wasn't your Carsten.

Oddly enough this happened to me about 9 years ago, so I know where you're coming from. I had a message on my answering machine from a vet's office and the police, telling my my dog Casey was dead; hit by a car. I ran upstairs to his crate and called them back asap. The vet didn't even want to hear that it wasn't Casey! She said, "Well, the license says he's yours." I told her there had to be a mix up on the license because Casey was standing next to me wagging his tail and waiting for dinner. Could it be his ghost? The police were very obliging, but what vet's office would argue that your obviously, living breathing dog was dead? Seriously.
Probably because people who think they are in trouble for something will often say a dog isn't theirs. I can't imagine abandoning my dog any time but can you even imagine??? Your dog has been hit by a car and you say "He isn't mine, when he clearly is?" I can't, nor can any animal lover but the vets do have to deal with those types.

It doesn't give me much confidence in the whole microchip thing since there are at least 2 of us that have had this happen to them. This dogs microchip came back as my account number too. Weird.
Glad it wasn't your dog either, how frightening to get a call like that and have it be your dog. :(

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
That happened to me once, too (not the microchip thing, though). I guess when you have a Rottweiler, the AC people remember you, LOL. They said that I have the only licensed male Rottweiler in town, so that's why they called me. But it wasn't Moose. I hope they found that dog's family.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I'm glad there was a happy ending but YOU SHOULD NOT SCARE US LIKE THAT! :) I thought something bad had happened to him. Glad to know he's fine!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That happened to me once, too (not the microchip thing, though). I guess when you have a Rottweiler, the AC people remember you, LOL. They said that I have the only licensed male Rottweiler in town, so that's why they called me. But it wasn't Moose. I hope they found that dog's family.
Well, the AC knows me personally too. I was the reason she got her Rottweiler. She had seen my dogs many times over the years and fell in love with the breed. When she picked up a Rottie pup that didn't have a home, she adopted it herself. It is a great dog and I was secretly happy because I knew she would fight HARD to not allow any breed specific legislation in our area because she now owned a Rottie. ha ha It has been a long time since she had seen my boys but she didn't want to take a chance of it being my dog and having him set one foot into that crappy shelter. Honestly, I don't think she would take any Rottweiler to the shelter if she didn't have to because they had an unspoken policy that they put all the Rotties to sleep for awhile there. I HOPE it has since changed but needless to say, they did take down the population a lot during that time.

I'm glad there was a happy ending but YOU SHOULD NOT SCARE US LIKE THAT! I thought something bad had happened to him. Glad to know he's fine!
Ha Ha, Sorry for the scare. Just imagine how I felt as I listened to that message. I mean, in my head I was thinking "there is no way, he is always in the house nice and safe when I leave" but I also know strange things sometimes happen. In that brief second all kinds of thoughts go though your head. Seeing his goofy face looking at me like "Why are you running at me Mom?" as he quickly jumped off the bed was such a relief. This is NOT a dog that would survive in the wild, he is such a mama's boy baby dog.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am a person of routine. Each day I come home from work, Usually greeted by howls from my boys which are in my bedroom. They used to have the run of the house but the exuberant chase of the mailman that left my new front door without glass and the fun chase of squirrels that knocked the sliding glass door clean off the house has made for a change. They are gaited into the back of the house.

Anyway, I come home, I listen to the messages on my answering machine while I put food into their bowls in the kitchen. Today there was a message from animal control, they found Carsten running loose in Allouez and he was now at the Animal hospital, please call them right away. What???? I never let my dogs out during the day when I am not there, how did he get out? I am old and fat but I literally RAN full on to the back of the house to see if Carsten was there. Thank You GOD, there he was. The relief came as fast as the sick feeling that came over me. You know the one, where your head gets hot and feels it is going to explode, you can't hear anything else and you suddenly feel you are going to throw up.

I called AC back immediately and spoke to a friend of mine who is in that area. She said "yeah, I got a Gorgeous Male Rottie and brought it to Riverside (the vet) and asked if he looked familiar to them. They thought it was Carsten and the Micro-chip wasn't working right. The dog had been taken care of and when the vet said the name "Carsten?" the dog sad and cocked his head. My friend said, "It can't be Carsten, his nails are too long." lol Thank God it wasn't and Thank God that dog was alright too. It was a scare I didn't need but a happy ending anyhow. Apparently the owner called the police and they were able to direct her to my vet where the dog was being held. My friend wouldn't take him to the shelter which is normal practice thinking he was my dog. My vet let her house him there thinking it was my dog. Glad people were looking out for my boy even though he was safe and snug and sleeping happily on his mama's bed. (Where he isn't allowed)

Anyhow, just had to share my scary moment. I know you have all had those as well but sheesh, it is hard to deal with for that very very brief second that it happened.

Here is the little boy blissfully unaware of the panic his mother felt for a moment. I think that he thought I was running toward him because he was on the bed and wasn't supposed to be because he flew off the bed and laid down on the floor. ha ha
I'am glad everything turned out OK , as I know that sick feeling very well from having one of my dogs stolen a few years ago and it hurts just as much today as it did then.

If that pic is Carsten , he is a beautiful dog.....................

·
Registered
136 Posts
Inga, I am so glad this had a happy ending for you. I've gotten rather fond of your dogs through this board. Carsten is gorgeous.

I've had this happen to me. I'm probably the only one to ever get this kind of call from my vet though. I got a call that a doberman was brought in, shot. I didn't even go by the house, I drove it in record time & didn't stop at the front desk, I scrubbed up & went into the operating room fearing the absolute worst... & thank God it wasn't my dog. My vet thought I was going to faint from relief. I don't faint... but it was close. My vet forgot mine are almost always tattooed & none of my dogs have a dry coat. This dog was microchipped but it wasn't working & she'd been mistreated badly but they were so focused on the gun shot wound.

My vet felt horrible to scare me like that but I'm glad he called. Had it been one of mine, I would want to be there. Ever since I get called when any of the big breeds come in. I keep mug shots on all the dogs I've trained or evaluated with contact information. We've been able to reunite several lost dogs/owners over the years & several more that have been stolen. If no one claims the dog, they get put down so if the dog has potential for training, I usually take them, train them & rehome them. That's an awful feeling for your dog to go missing or to get that call.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I once got a call from the shelter that they had a dog of mine (who had recently been euthanized). Although I stayed with Rollie while he passed, I went to the shelter anyway. It was a big hairy husky mix. So the AC gave me the tag and I gave the right number to my vet and got back to him with the actual owner's name. I have a friend who got a call from someone that her old dog Hidi (who had also passed on) was in the shelter. She went and looked, and there was an elderly mix who could have been Hidi's sister. She adopted the dog.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Sparrow, I am pretty attached to my dogs too. :) Had I gotten the call you did, I would have done exactly the same thing. There is no way I would have even taken the time to go home first. My actual fear was... Maybe someone had broken in and took him or let him out somehow. I have heard of many people losing their dogs like that. I did think it was odd that Oliver was still here though. I am so happy to have our local Animal Control officer and my vet. They were both concerned for my dogs welfare. I mean, they would be for any dog but they know me as the Rottie person and called ASAP and set the dog up in some comfy digs until I got back to them.

Pawzk9 That is kind of what I was afraid of AFTER I verified that it wasn't Carsten. I was thinking "oh no, I can't afford another dog right now" I just knew that If went and looked that I would end up keeping the dog if the owner couldn't be found. It was the Animal Control that brought my attention to Lulu, my little bait dog and to Ella the drug dealers Doberman Pinscher. I LOVED both of those dogs but I can't just pick up another dog right now. Wish I could though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts