Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so, Maisy's had a wart on her chin for about a month, which didn't seem to be causing any harm, but this past week she's been scratching at it, and it seems to be getting bigger. I took her in to the vet this morning and it seems it's not a wart at all, but an "abnormal growth" that she'd like to biopsy.

Is this just a precaution? Like how they biopsy every mole they take off of us? Or could it be more serious?

Also, as a side note, they x rayed a bump she's had on her ear forever (I thought it was a pimple or a clogged pore) to make sure it wasn't the same thing as what's on her chin and it turns out it's a BB. It makes sense given that she's a former bait dog but I almost started crying right there. People can be so awful.

**Edit**
I was so upset with the first two parts that I forgot my third question! She's overweight, but she's been on the same amount of the same food for six months. I know we haven't been out as much because of the weather, so I'll start sucking it up and taking her out for as long as we go out in summer. However, she weighed in today at 62 lbs. She's a pit/chesapeake bay retriever mix- built short and stocky like a pit with the thick coat, ears, and webbed toes as a chessie. The vet said ideally she'd like to see her at 40-45 pounds. Now...I'm no vet, but she was 45 punds when I got her and she seemed painfully thin. I know Chessie's are big dogs, but pits aren't super small either...isn't 45 pounds a stretch? I'm not saying she's not overweight, but I don't want to starve my dog.

·
Registered
640 Posts
:( How awful about the BB... your poor baby, I'm so glad she's getting all the love and care she needs now. Try not to proactively panic about the growth... you've been keeping an eye on it and brought her in as soon as it looked like it was growing, which is the best you could do... hopefully it's something they can easily remove or treat and your girl will be back to her old self in no time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'm trying not to be THAT upset...I'm hoping it is just a precaution. They scheduled her surgery for March 9, so I'll know in about a week what's going on. Til then, I'll concentrate on getting her weight down.

·
Banned
749 Posts
The proper weight for a dog is where you can feel the ribs but not see the ribs. If you can feel her ribs by pushing in on her sides then she is over weight. You should be able to run your hands along her side with out much pressure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am not sure what BB is but I am sorry to hear the sad news I had a bio done on my kitties sore on her back yesterday and I will find out on monday but the Dr already said it doesnt look good. So I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers while I also wait oon mine good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts