Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately I've come to conclusion that I would love to adopt a Great Dane within the next few years. I won't do so until I'm a bit more financially stable, as at this time I couldn't afford one comfortably. But, there is a specific question I have for those of you who have owned this breed.

What's the drool factor? In other words, is their saliva clean-up on the daily chore list?

Additionally, if there's any information that you feel is important to someone who's interested feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I grew up with Great Danes. Out of all of them over the years, only one (a female named Shadow) had a huge drooling problem. Shadow always had drool hanging from her muzzle. The others only drooled at dinner when they were waiting to be fed.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I had one Dane, and cared for my brother's dog for quite a while. Neither drooled under ordinary circumstances. After eating or drinking, however, we had to call out the towel brigade.

My female lived to be a little over 12 years old, but had to be put down due to senility and incontinence. She was in very good shape, physically, when she went.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm, alright. Thank you two very much..

I ask the question only because several "informational" sites on Danes have cautionary statements concerning their drooling.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Well, it's certainly a possibility. Any dog with that type of muzzle can be a drooler. Some Danes have tighter lips than others.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Some Danes also have gland problems that cause excessive drooling. That is what Shadow had. You're best bet is to keep towels handy just in case you get a drooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts