Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All You Animal Lovers, You!! ;)

I know I haven't posted on lately, but I do read and respond at times.
I was talking to a friend of mine that had a companion dog. I told her I was training Sadie to become one too. Then she mentioned that a Service Dog has to be in top health, no joint problems or anything like that. Sadie has Hip Dysplaysia (sp?)
For a Companion Service Dog, will she qualify for certification when she is ready?

She still has a ways to go, WE have a ways to go still. But if she won't be able to be certified because of her hips, I don't want to be disappointed when we get to that point. I would much rather know now.

I have tried to look it up, but all I can find is they need to be caught up on the shots and what not, as far as health goes.
Can someone please enlighten me on this?

Thanks in Advance-- Sadie thanks you too :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If you are in the US there is no certification necessary. But much depends on what she will be asked to do. If she's going to be doing any bracing or pulling, I would definitely NOT want to put that on a dog with CHD. And depending on how severe her hip dysplasia is, you may be looking at putting a lot of work in for a dog whose career may be short and limited.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Will she be a Companion Dog or a Therapy Dog or a trained Service Dog? There's a difference.

But no matter what, no, there's no certification in the U.S. So nobody will be checking up on her health.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would like her to become a Therapy dog in time, but for now, a Companion Dog.

Thanks.. was kinda worried there for a min. :)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a Companion Dog?

My dog has a CD title. I have heard of "emotional support" dogs. I am an evaluator for therapy dogs. I know what Service dogs are.

But the designation of Companion Dog outside of the obedience ring is new to me. What does a companion dog do?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Hmm, maybe the proper term is "emotional support". I'm not sure what the proper term is, but I've always heard "companion dog" (although a lot of people mistaknely refer to them as "service dogs"). The only thing they can do that regular dogs can't is live in no-pets-allowed housing, with a doctor's note.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Therapy dogs are not allowed access to public places (unless having express permission) like Service dogs are.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
If this is a dog that you want to accompany you in public, it must be a service dog. A service dog is an animal that is trained in tasks that mitigate the handler's disability. In other words, you need to be disabled in order to utilize a service dog.

A companion dog, as mentioned, is only a pet, and is not allowed in public areas that do not allow dogs

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a service dog. A service dog works for someone with a disability by providing a task and is legally allowed full public access. A therapy dog is trained to visit others in a hospital/nursing home setting. And an emotional support animal is a pet that you can have in a home where there are no pets allowed, provided you have a doctor's note, its for emotional support. A therapy dog must be certified with a Canine Good Citizen test and pass. A service dog does not have to be certified but does need to provide a task, and an emotional support animal is just a pet. Does not require anything special as long as you have a doctor's note. As far as bad hips go, that could be a problem if you were training for a service dog. As a service dog goes in public and does need to sit and ly down for periods of time on command.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts