Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My English Bulldog just had her 12 week shots on 5/15. That weekend she had diarrhea which I contributed to the shot. We are kennel training her, so she had a couple of accidents in her kennel Sat & Sun (even though I take her outside at 2:30a). Now it's Tues, her stools are almost back to normal, but she is pooping in her kennel excessively. I haven’t had a problem with pee. We had to throw her bed away & I'm running out of towels that don't have poop "scent". Her kennel is big, but we are using the divider that came with it to shrink it down to her size. We only feed her 1 cup of Iams puppy food per day (1/2 cup morning/night); she gets plenty of water. We do feed her treats that are not deemed "puppy" but we've given her these since we got her at 6 weeks and she didn't have a problem before. She is left alone for no more than 4 hours at a time during the day. Everything I read says that puppy's don't like to be in their own poop, but mine tramples around & lays in it. What am I doing wrong? HELP!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can I make a guess that this dog comes from a pet store?
I'm gonna second that guess. Nala was originally from a pet store. Her first owners got her there, and then gave her to the humane society (I'll never know why; she's so sweet) When we first brought her home, she did poop in the crate, but she's getting better about it so long as we keep her on a schedule.

In a pet store setting the puppy is forced to poop where they sleep and eat, so it breaks the natural instinct to hold it while they are in their "den"

·
Registered
945 Posts
Moo-Ma...
what time are you feeding her at night? Perhaps you should feed her earlier so she has a chance to eliminate before bed. Also, have you scrubbed down the crate with an enzyme cleaner? Sometimes there will be a scent left even if you clean that will trigger the dog to go there again. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions but I'm sure some other people will. Congrats on the new puppy. Nothing beats a bulldog! And I would love to see some pictures! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. BTW, her name is Valentine. She is purebred and came straight from the breeder. I should have been more clear - it's not during the night. It's during the day when we are are work. We come home about every 3 hours to let her out, but maybe that is just too long for her. Maybe it's separation anxiety? I got an enzyme cleaner a couple of days ago and i think that is helping. We actually took the divider out of the kennel yesterday to see if she would still lay in her poop and she didn't, so that tells me that doesn't actually like it - that makes me feel better. I think we are making progress by trial and error, but i will take any other suggestions.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Welcome little Valentine! You are absolutley adorable! :D Yeah, you might want to try quicker time intervals. When my Lizzy was little I took her out almost every hour or every two for the first couple weeks until I could tell she was able to hold it better. Good luck with her and congratulations again!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Take EVERYTHING out of the crate except a toy or two. I had to do this with my bulldog when he was a puppy. You could put a blanket over the crate if you feel she is cold. It stopped the pooping almost instantly. He had 1 or 2 accidents after that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your advice. I am trying everything. In fact, i read last night about putting the divider in the kennel in a spot where she couldn't even turn around. We tried that last night and will for the next 5 days or so... we'll see. I'll try the towel too. Thank you for saying my Val is cute - I'm getting a lot of people ask me why we purchased such an ugly dog?! If you think of anything else, I'll take suggestions until it's fixed. Thanks again.

·
Registered
945 Posts
What?! Ugly dog? Obviously they must be referring to someone else. I know bulldogs can be somewhat of an aquired taste, but she is an absolute cutie! My mom felt that way around my bullie until she spent a little time with it. Now she adores them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It worked!! No more poopy puppy. It was separation anxiety and confining her to just enough room to lay down & sleep worked. Whew! Thank you for all your advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts