Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Boy we sure are learning something about their coats, huh? So just trim their hair, huh? I have never shaved a dog but I think my dad use to shave our Scottish terrier in the summer.

Oh concerning hair, if you look at the picture of Snuggles with all the fur around her neck, I did cut that a couple weeks ago. Since she is a mixed breed, I guess there is no certain way that she needs to look.
A trim is much much different then a shave. I trim Blazes stomache hair in summer, just so its cooler to lay on cool ground. I trim down his butt hair as it drives me nuts, I call it troll hair, as you can literally bend and twist it and it stays in position, so it always looks scruffy lol. trimming can be done on any breed. just not shaving

·
Registered
393 Posts
So a short trim would be better for the coat? Is it just the length of the coat that makes a trim different from a shave?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
From a groomer's perspective, no, I wouldn't shave your pom; you can get her trimmed down some, if you want an easier to manage coat. The thing I try to not do is shave them down further than a #3 blade; this way you don't interfere with the coat growth. With other long coat\double coat breeds, I also do the same; I'd rather scissor the dog, but if the owner wishes the dog to be shorter, I tell them my 'shortest' short for their dog, and why that is. Should they still want them shorter, I make sure they understand the implications of that.

I don't see anything wrong with people wanting their long coated or double coated if they understand what they have to do to keep the dog comfortable in hot or cold weather. Most clients we deal with have spoiled pampered pets who live indoors, and mosy around outdoors when they want to. And some people who have long haired dogs, perhaps love the breed, it's temperment, etc, and that's why they got it; some just like a more manageable hairstyle along with it. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I guess it is a matter of style that people like. I will probably try to do her hair on my own (and no I don't like real short hair) and if I screw it up, she will get her hair professionally groomed.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts