·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Today's off leash hike presented a new challenge in training. So far, the jerky treats had sufficed for a reward however it was no longer working today. Mostly because it's hot and he wasn't hungry. So I had a dilemma. I do have the e-collar and he is trained, in my opinion, very well and gently on it. However it makes little sense to not have a reward for coming each time.

When I got home I realized he was thirsty from a short walk (that I go to get the excess out before I take him for a off leash walk, better safe than sorry.) I realized it was due to the warm weather (It's not as hot as the pictures look, maybe 75 degrees or so. Still quite warm for a double coated breed, however.)

So I decided that there was a rather simple reward for recall here. Water! Obviously, I did not withhold water from in at all. He was able to drink to his fill each time. But it was a reward he was excited for (always does this little bounce dance when he's eager for something). An unexpected training opportunity that I'm glad I was able to catch.

But that's Kobe off leash, and a result of my training with him over many months. Hope people enjoyed the pics.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Wow, those pictures are WONDERFUL!!

Think you could come over and take pictures of mine?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I've missed photos of Kobe! Theres a white husky around here that reminds me of him. I only wish the owners took care of him as well as you do Kobe.

He is so stunning. Great photos R!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
The pictures are all so beautiful. Kobe looks great against the blue sky and yellow foliage. :) I am so happy to see him off leash and enjoying himself. He has a huge smile in most of those pictures. ;) :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Awwww... what a brilliant white coat. I think I'll have to try the water motivator too.

Some of the silly things that motivate Ilya is ice cubes and any type of fan blowing in his face this summer. As long as I switch them, he'll keep his focus :p.

Beautiful mountains and great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Great pictures R. I love Kobe's contrast with the sky. Great to see the handsome boy again. :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Too many great pictures to pick a favorite! Wonderful photography of a beautiful dog! The scenery is pretty great, too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts