Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
A new mother to a 10 week old 3/4 Irish Wolfhound, 1/4 mastiff and we've been muddling through quite well over the past 7 days. A beautiful pup and I'm very blessed.
I just want to gain more information as to what to feed her, Tippi, and how much.
At 10 weeks, she was 15 kilos. A week later today, I think she weighs more, and we'll be going for another weigh in in the second week.
I don't want to over feed her and try for small meals frequently, but should I be doing just two main meals a day.
I also want to gain more insight into the pros and cons of a grain free diet?
Thank you :)
Kit

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Hello :)

How much to feed her entirely depends upon what you're feeding her. Which brand are you currently feeding?

I encourage you to do a bit of research about giant breed nutrition. It is very important to manage calcium, phosphorous and caloric intake for any dog, but particularly dogs who are going to weigh well over 100 lbs when they reach physical maturity. The nutrient levels for giant breed puppies should be right in these ranges:

Protein levels 23-26%
Fat 12%-16%
Moderate calories per cup 350 - 400
Calcium 1.2% - 1.5%

I personally feed grain free and am not aware of many cons of a grain free diet - some dogs seem to get dry, itchy skin when they eat grain free. Diabetic dogs need more carbohydrates than others, as well, but outside of that, most dogs should do very well eating grain free foods.

You should probably be feeding her 3 meals a day, and should probably continue to do that for the duration of her life. The reason being that behind Great Danes, I believe Irish Wolfhounds are one of the breeds most at risk for GDV (bloat). If you don't know about bloat, you should do some reading, but basically, feeding small portions throughout the day and forced rest 20 minutes before and 40 minutes after meals helps ensure that your dog's stomach won't be overly full and flip due to activity. Your puppy won't be at risk for GDV until she's a bit older, but it's good to look into the issue now to prepare yourself for what's to come.

Do you happen to have any photos of her? 15 kilos at 10 weeks is huge. My Great Dane puppy was 12.2 kilos at 10 weeks, and I'm expecting him to be somewhere in the 77-81 kilo (170-180 lb) range when he is full grown.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi :)
What food are you feeding her?
At this age, 3-4 meals a day.
She should gain about 1/2 to a 1 pound a week.
Would love to see pictures of Tippi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi 'Wet Beards'! :)
Thank you so much for your response! So nice to connect with others out there :)
I'm having a problem uploading a photo, as when I go to 'insert picture' it asks for a url, but my photos are just in my computer on file?
If you have any insight that you could share with me on this, that would be great!
Many thanks
Kit

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
In order to upload a photo, you can add it to your user photo albums on this site.

If you go to your profile, you should see your albums on the left side of the page. Create a new one, and then hit "upload pictures". A new window should open that allows you to upload photos from your computer. Click "add files" in the upper right, choose the photo and then click "upload" in the tiny menu that popped up. Then click "done" at the bottom of the window. Then you'll be directed to a page where you can edit the photo description. You have to click "save changes" on this page in order for the upload to complete.

Then click on the photo and copy the BB code below it and paste it in a post here! Hopefully that covers it thoroughly enough, I found the photo upload process for albums on this site to be confusing when I joined :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts