Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the most bizarre thing. At least six months ago, all three of my pups had a little puking incident... what they puked up looked like pasta. Fettuccine, to be specific... in a mild yellow bile sauce. :eek:

I figured they must have somehow gotten into garbage or something... it didn't happen again anytime soon, so I shrugged it off.

Well, every once in a while, one of them will puke up that same fettuccine-looking stuff. I can't for the LIFE of me figure out where they would be finding fettuccine. And if it's not pasta, what the heck IS it??!

I'm posting now because earlier Dixon puked up that same tiny little pile of pasta puke, and it's starting to drive me bananas trying to figure out what it is and how they are eating this.

I don't even have fettuccine at home, so it's not like they could have ducked into the pantry when I wasn't looking and made off with a stash.

I've searched all throughout the property and can't find any weeds or anything that looks like it.

Any ideas?? I can post a photo, but it looks exactly like... well... vomited fettuccine. :confused:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hmmm...worms of some sort? That sure is strange. And gross. :)

ETA: I know nothing about worms in dogs, what they look like, etc. Would think you'd see them coming out the other end and not in vomit but was just throwing out ideas.

Also curious to see what others say.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Actually, I think I've seen what you're talking about before. I didn't really think of it as ACTUAL pasta, though. But I have absolutely no idea what on earth it could be. I think I remember it mushing quite readily. I'm waiting to see what the replies to this thread look like :D

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I think it might be best to scoop up a sample next time and bring it to the vet to make sure it isn't anything serious.

oh, and if you're gonna take pics of the puke, PLEASE give us some new pics of your poodles!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's definitely not worms... I spent quite a bit of quality time with Google Images looking at lovely photos of tapeworms etc... it seems exactly like pasta (I even washed some of it and squished it! :eek: ) But yes, I will take in my sample to the vet (Jackson has to have stitches out next week anyway) and see what he says.

And yes, I do need to post new photos of the babies! Things have been so hectic and I've had some personal crap going on I haven't had time to do a proper photo shoot of them recently... but I will soon. :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Don't know what it could be but have you checked to see if they've been calling a local Italian restaurant and ordering take out? LOL

·
Registered
98 Posts
We had the dog we're puppy-sitting do the same thing recently. It looked like chopped up cooked spaghetti but was NOT roundworms (I have seen LOTS of round-worms).

But we hadn't had spaghetti in weeks!

Either way gave her a good few doses of wormer & it went away.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Could it be curdled milk? Or a curdled food of any kind? Curdled dairy products can be sort of pasta like...

Oh yeah.. need a photo of it.. (did I just ask for a picture of dog vomit???)

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Oh yeah.. need a photo of it.. (did I just ask for a picture of dog vomit???)
Ewwwwwww! Remind me to NOT check back on this... Even though I'm now curious about what it is...

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ummmm... well folks, since I posted this thread, all three of them have puked a little of this up over the course of the last few days (just a little bit each).... this last time, I *shudder* scooped some up and photographed the evidence. :eek: (Yeah, there's a quarter there for scale... yeesh, I feel like I'm photographing this for eBay or something... pile of puke, no reserve, starting bid only $1.99, anyone??! :eek:)

Click at yer own risk, folks, it's pretty disgusting! I'm pretty sure it's so yellow because of, um, stomach acid. The sample that accidentally went through the washing machine a couple of months ago ended up being exactly the color of cooked pasta (and while it was fresh out of the wash, it was the texture of cooked pasta, then it dried to be hard like dried pasta) -- hence my theory that it was pasta, except where are they finding all this pasta?? I don't think it's worms... nothing seems "alive," and there are no "worm parts" or anything... but who knows?? :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is the strangest thing! Could it be some sort of vegetation you have on your property?
Maybe!! We have wooded areas that they have access to, and I've found some crazy-looking mushrooms out there, but nothing that looks like fettuccini.

Some other theories:

- They are somehow getting into my locked compost bin and eating onions (but it doesn't smell like onion in the least, and it doesn't slice through as easily as onion -- yes, I sliced some trying to analyze the crazy stuff :eek:)

- The next-door neighbor (a total freak and a meanie to dogs) is putting out poisoned pasta for my pups

- Maybe it is some type of worm somehow??

My favorite theory so far though is skelaki's...
Don't know what it could be but have you checked to see if they've been calling a local Italian restaurant and ordering take out? LOL
Knowing my three, I wouldn't put it past them!! :p

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I second the idea that they're ordering out. I have no idea what that is, but you're right it does look like fettuccine.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Take it to a vet for sure, and check your property for anything out of the norm. They have to be eating something, and if they are it's not good for them if they are puking it up, or maybe it is some kind of worm.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Take it to a vet for sure, and check your property for anything out of the norm.
I've walked the whole property several times looking for what this could be (it's happened sporadically over at least 6 months), and will definitely take the sample to the vet... thanks for everyone's input on a gross topic!
Eww, I bet it's hard to eat fettuccine now because you'll think of your dog's throw up.
ROFL - you're darn right - and I will for sure NEVER again eat it in pesto sauce!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any luck with the fettucini barf? My 5 mo old whopper seems to have the same issue. Vet has diagnosed and succesfully treated giardia and cryptosporidium. Pasta puke still prevails

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.