Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a large apt. complex that allows dogs. Yeah! That's why I live there. However, like most communities that allow dogs, there are rules. And one of them is that dog owners must pickup after their dog's poop. This is not just a rule, it's also a city ordinance where I live. These laws are common in most parts of the country. Unfortunately, many owners don't pickup. Based on the size of the "droppings", they are primarily large-breed dogs although a few are small, too. I can understand that since picking up a big poopie is way more unpleasant than a little tootsie roll.

The aggravating thing is that the complex not only provides the bags, they also provide the receptacle to toss it. And you know what? Some people even let their dogs poo right next to the "waste stations" and then leave it!!! Why are some dog owners so dang lazy and inconsiderate? I'm working with management to resolve this. We even fine people...if they can be caught.

Since I really want to understand the mindset of the owner that does this and an internet forum is anonymous, why do some of you not pickup? Whether it's the law or not, don't you think it's just plain common courtesy? Help me understand. I'm trying to wrap my brain around it. Also, is there anything that would encourage you to pickup?

Ok, thanks for reading my rant. I know this is a problem all around the country and want to foster a better understanding. :)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
For the record, I pick up my doggy poo.

However, I think being fined would "discourage" me from leaving it on the ground. I can't imagine how lazy you have to be not to pick up your poo when they provide the bags and the cans to put it in?! I see why some people get grossed at the fact (like my walks around here) there's no trash cans at all to put it in, so you have to carry it along...but jeez...

It's people like that that make it hard for anyone that has to rent and has dogs. :(

·
Registered
861 Posts
i feel ya... i can't stand it either. i also live in an apt complex that allows large dogs and i always see big unscopped poos outside. so its not fun for someone like me who likes to do early morning doggie duty in her slippers.

if you don't want to scoop the poop then you shouldn't get the dog.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The ONLY time I don't pick up the poo is if it's not solid enough to pick up. This isn't a regular occurence though 99% of the time I'm able to pick up. But if he's not feeling well and has the runs, I can't pick up the runs. I try to get him to "empty" out at the house before we go on a walk but sometimes he doesn't empty completely.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If my pup poops in my yard, I'll leave it there for a few days because he kinda sees it as his place to poop (that and I can be such a lazy bum, haha!) and when we do pick up his poo, he won't poop there anymore. Silly boy.
But when I take him for a walk on the street, or on the bike path right by my house, i bring a bag with me and pick it up. There's no reason you should leave your pet's poop all over the place. Other people enjoy stepping in poop just as much as you do.
The only reason people may not pick it up is laziness, I think. There's no other reason not to do it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't understand why people don't pick up their dog's poop either. However, I'm pretty lucky, Dallas doesn't relieve herself on walks. She does that in our backyard, and hubby picks it up!! I do bring a bag with me on walks though, just in case. Several years ago a woman was walking her dog and let it poop in my front yard, as my dogs were in the backyard barking at her and her dog. She had no intentios of picking it up, As she started to walk away I came out with a bag and had her pick it up. I was so mad!!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
If my pup poops in my yard, I'll leave it there for a few days because he kinda sees it as his place to poop (that and I can be such a lazy bum, haha!) and when we do pick up his poo, he won't poop there anymore. Silly boy.
But when I take him for a walk on the street, or on the bike path right by my house, i bring a bag with me and pick it up. There's no reason you should leave your pet's poop all over the place. Other people enjoy stepping in poop just as much as you do.
The only reason people may not pick it up is laziness, I think. There's no other reason not to do it.
How are you supposed to pick up the runs?

It always irritates me when I'm picking up the poo and someone near by says "ewww", then I go up and say to them, would you like to step in the poo? I sure wouldn't.

Sure picking up poo is not one of my favorite things to do, but I would much rather pick it up than step in it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
How are you supposed to pick up the runs?

It always irritates me when I'm picking up the poo and someone near by says "ewww", then I go up and say to them, would you like to step in the poo? I sure wouldn't.

Sure picking up poo is not one of my favorite things to do, but I would much rather pick it up than step in it.
Hm, beats me... a kiddie-sized shovel and a plastic bag? haha. Worth a shot.

Yea, same here. That's one reason I do it, I do it in public places mostly because I don't want to look like a jerky pet owner who doesn't take care of her animal and what it does.

One way to make it more pleasant is to get the scented doggy bags. They sell 'em at petco, ten bucks for 90 bags and they're helpful. They mask the scent of the poop... I could imagine that helps, especially in the summertime while it's sitting in your garbage bin!

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Thats true Ara,ive always thought someone should invent a *runny poo scooper* or something,its impossible pick up.
One thing i do when i go on a walk is take a load of tissue with me,if there is a runny poo then i cover it as much as possible with the tissue and then scoop it up in a poo bag.
Half the time there is still runny poo left there though but at least i tried.

I also get strange looks when i pick up poo,two different types,younger people look at me like WTF are you picking it up (its called responsibilty) and then joggers and normal everyday peeps give me the *look of disgust*

Suppose you cant win either way.
Anyone have any other ways/ideas to pick up runny poop?? (appologies to anyone eating and reading this)

ETA: Beethovan,im not sure how much baby nappy sacks are over here but here they are 29p and dog bags are £1.99,also the nappy sacks are scented and come in a pack of 50 instead of 20 for the dog poop bags.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Thats true Ara,ive always thought someone should invent a *runny poo scooper* or something,its impossible pick up.
One thing i do when i go on a walk is take a load of tissue with me,if there is a runny poo then i cover it as much as possible with the tissue and then scoop it up in a poo bag.
Half the time there is still runny poo left there though but at least i tried.

I also get strange looks when i pick up poo,two different types,younger people look at me like WTF are you picking it up (its called responsibilty) and then joggers and normal everyday peeps give me the *look of disgust*

Suppose you cant win either way.
Anyone have any other ways/ideas to pick up runny poop?? (appologies to anyone eating and reading this)

ETA: Beethovan,im not sure how much baby nappy sacks are over here but here they are 29p and dog bags are £1.99,also the nappy sacks are scented and come in a pack of 50 instead of 20 for the dog poop bags.
OK, this is a prime example of why dogforums is so entertaining. A tough guy like Pooch, with his 3 menacing dogs, needs and gives poopy scoopy advice. It makes me smile :p

Well, Bless is not so menacing LOL

·
Registered
640 Posts
That is incredibly rude, and I don't know why they'd want to live in a place with poop all over the place. I can't speak for them, but have a theory. Maybe they grew up with "outdoor dogs" who just pooped in their yard and they just let the poop stay there until it rotted. So they just think it's normal to let poop just sit there.

I had actually never heard of poop scooping until I lived in Boston and got my first puppy. It made total sense to me why it was so important to pick up after your dog, and I was so impressed with the little bags and scooping tools you could buy to make the job so easy.

Now that I have a big back yard where my puppies go, it's natural to me to scoop (although I admit with the cold weather we've been having, I sometimes only scoop the frozen "poopsicles" once a day or so)... yet I know people who don't seem to mind that their own back yards are a poop graveyard. I guess your non-scooping apartment neighbors think it's just normal to have poop everywhere and have to step over it. Who knows!

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Haha!!! MMM :D its one of those big issues with me,i dont know if im extra paranoid but i always assume people think im *not* going to pick it up because of how i look and so stare at me even more (if that makes sense) but i always do though,. :cool: seeing poo everywhere is'nt nice and gives people reason to not like dogs or thier owners.

*stops talking about dog poo now*

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the record, I pick up my doggy poo.

However, I think being fined would "discourage" me from leaving it on the ground. I can't imagine how lazy you have to be not to pick up your poo when they provide the bags and the cans to put it in?! I see why some people get grossed at the fact (like my walks around here) there's no trash cans at all to put it in, so you have to carry it along...but jeez...

It's people like that that make it hard for anyone that has to rent and has dogs. :(
I couldn't agree more. I think more landords would be willing to rent out to dog owners if they were more responsible. It's not just the poop, but the poorly trained dogs, yappers, etc. It makes it hard on all of us.

The ONLY time I don't pick up the poo is if it's not solid enough to pick up. This isn't a regular occurence though 99% of the time I'm able to pick up. But if he's not feeling well and has the runs, I can't pick up the runs. I try to get him to "empty" out at the house before we go on a walk but sometimes he doesn't empty completely.
I know what you mean about the runny stuff. Following her 3 year rabies booster, my beloved Sofie nearly lost her life. It took her months to get over the GI problems including intermittent runs. One time (sorry!) she shed her mucosal lining of the intestine along with her mess.:eek: It was impossible to pick it up. However, one thing I've noticed particurlary in warmer months is that if you wait a day or so, it does dry out and solidify. I've been known on more than one ocassion (forgotten/lost bag, etc) to go back to a spot and pick up since my conscience bothers me.

I don't understand why people don't pick up their dog's poop either. However, I'm pretty lucky, Dallas doesn't relieve herself on walks. She does that in our backyard, and hubby picks it up!! I do bring a bag with me on walks though, just in case. Several years ago a woman was walking her dog and let it poop in my front yard, as my dogs were in the backyard barking at her and her dog. She had no intentios of picking it up, As she started to walk away I came out with a bag and had her pick it up. I was so mad!!!
Ya wanna hear something hysterical and gross? A friend of mine told me of a guy he knew who was irrate over a dog owner who let his dog poo in his yard right in front of him and then just walked off. The guy was so mad he went over and picked up the turd with his bare hand and threw it at the dog owner and said, "Aren't you forgetting something?":eek:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
There are a few times that I haven't picked up poo. Those times were either A.) I had Mia and Kaki which was too much of a handful already or B.) I had already run out of bags.
I once came back for a poo and somebody had picked it up. But there are those people whose dogs poop right next to the free bags and poo trash can yet they don't pick it up.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Great video. I passed it on.

Ah the old poop debate. I have been trying to catch a neighbor walking her dog and not picking it up. Sometimes her father walks the dog, but no luck so far. I had noticed that there was a new sign in front of the park in addition to the one by the waste bag stand and mentioned to the guy. He had told me that some was from their dog but not all of it. I then said "Well I know none of it is from Lola because I always pick it up". I don't see why it would be so hard to pick it up. The bags are free so it's not like they have to go out and buy them.

It has gotten so bad across the street at the park that it's starting to look like a land mind field. not only do they provide bags they even have several barrels through out the area and people still do not pick up.

I fully believe in recycling and if there could be money made from dog poop I would be out there not only scooping up Lola's as I am now but I would scoop up others as well. Of course if dog poop was worth money we would not be having this discussion right now because there would not be dog poop where you walk.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I'm gonna be honest...
earlier in the year I took my dog to a tractor pull, and I completely forgot to bring a bag. I didn't even have any in my truck, and the hotdog stand didn't have any bags either... so I left it; right smack dab in the center of the soccer field... right around soccer season. I felt like a jerk... still do, 'cause some of my buddies play soccer. :/
But now I make sure to carry them with me when we go out (which isn't often; we live in the middle of no where). Outtings are the only times that I actually need to carry them, because my dogs are primarily outside dogs, so they go and poo in the field and I don't have to worry about it. :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
I fully believe in recycling and if there could be money made from dog poop I would be out there not only scooping up Lola's as I am now but I would scoop up others as well. Of course if dog poop was worth money we would not be having this discussion right now because there would not be dog poop where you walk.
Hmm, maybe the city could start a poop buy-back program. Sort of like gun buy-back programs. Turn in dog poop and you can get a certain number of pennies per pound. Homeless people everywhere would suddenly be taking care of the dog poop problem! or better yet, welfare recipients would be required to turn in a certain amount of poop every week in order to qualify for their welfare checks! :D

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
It's pretty common around here to not pick up poop - it's everywhere, even my own front yard - around the mail boxes, etc.

This is the #1 reason why I taught Wally to potty on command (I know his pattern, pee once - poop - pee once or twice more - so I know my second potty command either should be on my yard, in some no-man's-land place (lots of those places too, or just get ready to get it).

It's the #2 reason why he's on a feeding schedule also - so I know which walks I even have to worry about it.

Personally, I don't get all angry over it. 1 - it won't dissolve the poop, and 2 - I guess I am used to it, so I get around it (and Wally does too actually). The most annoying thing for me is making sure Wally doesn't it eat or "fetch" it back to me.

Actually, no, the most annoying thing is getting accused of leaving my poop around - or being bothered while I'm trying to train him (and the last thing I need for him is to be started by some rude horn honking or something - he's fearful enough, but people don't care if they are freaking him out or if they see him working with his handler *sigh* They just want to get in my face about some poop that's not even his), by someone who has the nerve to accuse Wally of some poop somewhere.

One time, I just had it - the person's rudeness surprised Wally while he was in mid air and he smacked his jaw on the log he was jumping over! I picked up Wally (was checking on him in this point when the person literally shoved the poop in my face) , pulled up his tail and showed his rear and said could something THAT big come from a butt this little? It was literally a huge pile of 1 1/2 inch think poops. If Wally pooped like that I wouldn't be there - I'd be at the vet because something would be really, really wrong with him. The person was like "oh, I didn't realize he was a puppy."

"I said, he's not. He's a small dog - a Coton De Tulear - and I would appreciate if you apologized for making him get hurt."

Got some muttered "sorry", put Wally down and walked off.

THAT is what ticks me off. It's even worse because I'm like the only guy around who walks his dog 5x a day apparently so it's like "oh it MUST be him - his dog is ALWAYS out!"

I really did make a sign that says "I'm not the dog you think poop where ever you saw that poop." I'm about to put it on Wally if I can figure a good way to keep it on him. It's ridiculous.

Ya wanna hear something hysterical and gross? A friend of mine told me of a guy he knew who was irrate over a dog owner who let his dog poo in his yard right in front of him and then just walked off. The guy was so mad he went over and picked up the turd with his bare hand and threw it at the dog owner and said, "Aren't you forgetting something?":eek:
I wouldn't be laughing. I'd be on my cell calling the cops for assault. I don't care if I did leave it - that doesn't make what he did right. No where in the law of my county does it say "you can throw poop at people because they left it behind." In fact - there's cops on neighborhood patrol and one lives like four house down from me - might not even need to use any cell minutes.

Hmm, maybe the city could start a poop buy-back program. Sort of like gun buy-back programs. Turn in dog poop and you can get a certain number of pennies per pound. Homeless people everywhere would suddenly be taking care of the dog poop problem! or better yet, welfare recipients would be required to turn in a certain amount of poop every week in order to qualify for their welfare checks! :D
Make it enough per pound I'll be picking up poop faster than Wally can sniff it. In fact, I could train him to be a poop sniffer! :D

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Well at home (we live on 5 acres) the dogs will go into the woods to poop and no I don't pick it up in there. If we go somewhere tho, like the dog park or downtown, of course I pick it up, it's only common courtesy. Especially since Mo can poop a dumptruck full in a short amount of time lol.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts