Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't think I will be petsitting anyone's dog at my own home for a while.

I am sitting and waiting for the vet to come over and re-bandage the puppy's tail! I was literally gone 10-15 minutes walking Bridgette to find that Jordan has somehow managed to get her tail bandage off! She is wearing an e-collar and is in her crate! I'd REALLY like to know how she managed that!

Besides that she snuck into my room and peed on my bed...and on the floor by Bridgette's toys. :eek:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm actually debating calling up my friend and having her come back early at this point.

The vet came and re-bandaged her tail yesterday and she was an angel for her! She then screamed for the rest of the evening and through the night. After not settling at all I ended up sleeping on the floor with her (I can't leave her out of the crate alone because she is now at the chewing stage.) She then peed on me as I was getting up to take her out.

I'm now wondering if I should expect animal control to knock on my door after I tried taking her outside to pee/poop. I took her and Bridgette together as she seemed much better when we did this before. Not so much. She started screaming and chasing her tail. I have NEVER heard a dog scream so loudly....and I bet my neighbors haven't either! (this is at 6am!) This time she didn't even calm down when I pet her so I had to pick her up again.

So basically I am going to pick up some puppy pads from work this morning and won't be taking her outside. It's not like she's been going outside anyway. I have never been so frustrated with a dog before. I'm trying hard not to be, but I have never met such a terribly behaved puppy. She is in a little pain from her tail....but not this much. She'll wag her tail and smack in on things and not even whimper. I so much as look at the leash or take out her ear meds and she starts screaming as if I'm sticking needles in her eyes!

I'm at my wits end.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Yikes, sounds like this puppy isn't so much fun. Does she like food? I would boil some chicken and pick up the leash, feed her a piece of chicken put the leash down, repeat until she is excited when you pick up the leash. Then, pick up the leash and move like you are going to hook it to her, give her a piece of chicken, repeat until this makes her excited. Then pick up the leash, actually hook it to her, give her a piece of a chicken, unhook the leash. Repeat until she is excited. Then hook her up, move towards door, give chicken, unhook, repeat until she is excited. Then actually take her outside and feed her chicken, bring her inside.

Same thing with the ear wash bottle, pick it up, give her chicken, put it down, rinse and repeat.

How long do you have to watch her for?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes, sounds like this puppy isn't so much fun. Does she like food? I would boil some chicken and pick up the leash, feed her a piece of chicken put the leash down, repeat until she is excited when you pick up the leash. Then, pick up the leash and move like you are going to hook it to her, give her a piece of chicken, repeat until this makes her excited. Then pick up the leash, actually hook it to her, give her a piece of a chicken, unhook the leash. Repeat until she is excited. Then hook her up, move towards door, give chicken, unhook, repeat until she is excited. Then actually take her outside and feed her chicken, bring her inside.

Same thing with the ear wash bottle, pick it up, give her chicken, put it down, rinse and repeat.

How long do you have to watch her for?
It's funny I have tried this. The thing is I have seen her on a leash with my friend and she is not like this. It did take her a while to acclimate to the leash, but as far as I know she was great now.

I've been taking treats every time and taking it really slowly. I'll have to take it even slower I suppose. I think it's a lot to do with the tail. Although leash or not if she come out of her crate she starts screaming her head off. We have her in a massive crate and the two doors are open, but she's not wanting to come out at all.

I figure I'll just leave her alone until she needs to go out...or something.

She's only here until Tuesday so I'm not too worried. She's also going to be staying at her vet tomorrow so they can check her tail again and re-bandage if necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts