Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I haven't been around in a while/at all... It's because I've been very busy in real life and also there hasn't really been much to report. Those of you who know me know that I've been dealing with a mystery-leg-issue with my dog Soro.

Quick recap on symptoms: head bobbing, decreased extension of hind legs, 'bunny hopping' but not like a dog with hip displaysia, pain only when iliopsoas area is palpated. 'Weird' gait in general without obvious signs of limping, no decrease in energy or appetite, otherwise perfectly healthy including bloodwork. Ruled out lyme disease. Xrays and PennHIP scores are beautiful. Adequan, Rimadyl, and laser therapy have no effect. (Can you tell we've been working on this conundrum for a while?)

There has been little progress for the longest time. A lot of vets thought arthritis, ACL injury, or some other joint problem. But all tests and Xrays came back negative. Soro's been to, what, five vets by now? Including surgeons and physical therapists.
The GOOD news is I recently took him to a chiropractor and after one adjustment it was like walking a different dog... So far, that has been the only thing that has made a difference. Turned out his pelvis was way out of alignment, probably from some rough play or trauma I overlooked two years ago. Soro is still not 100% yet and he hasn't had a good run, training session, or game of fetch/tug in too long. But hopefully things are getting better. Vets are still wondering why he is not 100% after 3 adjustments now. People are speculating that because of the chronic/long term nature of this misalignment his muscles might take longer than usual to catch up... But who knows.

I just wanted to put up an update because people on this site have been incredibly supportive and helpful throughout this ordeal. Also, if anyone else has a dog with a problem like this, this might shed some insight?

And lastly, last night I noticed a tinge of pink on his lower left canine, probably nerve or pulp damage from a marrow bone. He's seeing the vet (again) tomorrow morning and I'm hoping it will go away, as opposed to having to have the tooth extracted or having a root canal.

That's all. There hasn't been a month that's passed that I haven't had to take him to the vet. Needless to say, money is an issue at the moment. My fingers are crossed that things will get less 'exciting' soon. Hope everyone's doing well!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hopefully he is doing better permanently and you are on the up swing of things. I hope this is the resolution of this issue for you.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am glad to hear from you ... I had been wondering where you went and was hoping nothing majorly wrong had happened. It is good that you finally got a diagnosis ... instead of all those mystery ones. It is tough not knowing for sure! :) I hope Soro is on the mend permanently now. It does get crazy having to go to the vet all the time :/ I know!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
It is good to see you again, Canyx!

I am glad that the adjustments seem to be helping Mr.Soro. Please continue to update when you have time as he is one of my favorite DF dogs.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Good to hear! I've been wondering how things had turned out!
Just a note, from someone who has personally gone to a lot of physiotherapy and such....find out if there are any particular exercises that will help get those muscles back in the right shape to support the adjustments. If the muscles don't get in shape to support it, things will just move back and it'll be constant adjustments in the future, and the pain of things slipping back out of place. Acupuncture has also helped me a lot with muscle pain issues while I got back into shape, I've heard some do it for dogs as well so it might be of help.
Good luck with the visit for the tooth!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts