Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with all these things happening with people like Mel and with misc *don't think I spelled that right sorry* I'm wondering if I should choose a different breeder as well. The website doesn't give you OFA stats but her dogs have won a lot of awards including Westminster, so I figured they have to be structurally sound right?

Another thing that bothers me is she almost never answers my e-mails, I have e-mailed her recently to tell her instead of getting a male we would be looking for a female instead and that we were thinking of getting one in spring if she had a litter on the ground. I never heard anything back this was months ago and before that I had e-mailed her asking how her last litter was and how her dogs were doing *which was about 4 months BEFORE this last e-mail* so about 6 months ago.

I haven't put a deposit down, but her puppies are expensive *1800* which I don't know but seems steep for a rough collie? I don't really know. Maybe I should find a different breeder?

I have met the breeder in person and she seemed legit and all of her dogs are well taken care of I know that for sure just by looking at them :) or maybe I'm just being silly but some advice would be really nice. If you want to PM me I could tell you the name of the kennel.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Do you know the registered names of some of her dogs? You can look them up on www.offa.org if so. Make sure their eyes are done too. If they aren't on there, it either means they weren't tested or she didn't register the results (why not?). And, did HER dogs win at shows or are her dogs just "from championship lines"? I wouldn't assume they were structurally sound just from winning because some problems aren't obvious, and some dogs aren't going to be affected.

Like I said in the other thread, I figure that someone who isn't communicating with me doesn't want to do business with me. So I would consider that a deal-breaker but other people have different tolerances for that.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Didn't you go with Heatherfield? I saw on a collie group I was on that she lost a bunch of her dogs to the MDR1 mutation. This was months ago. They had a big gofund me going for her.

So maybe that's why, if it's a different breeder I'm just yacking then.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Didn't you go with Heatherfield? I saw on a collie group I was on that she lost a bunch of her dogs to the MDR1 mutation. This was months ago. They had a big gofund me going for her.
How did that happen? It's not a fatal mutation. Did the breeder give them certain meds without knowing their MDR1 status? I wouldn't use THAT breeder. Nobody should be that clueless about their own dogs.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
How did that happen? It's not a fatal mutation. Did the breeder give them certain meds without knowing their MDR1 status? I wouldn't use THAT breeder. Nobody should be that clueless about their own dogs.
I am not sure of the details. The thing just said that it was a reaction to the drug. I think like 10 dogs were affected, when I stopped following it I think 5 had already died or something. I've tried googling it and the only thing I found was a pint rest saying it was a tapeworm treatment, however not sure how reliable thst it.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I tried looking up Heatherfield's adult dogs (to run some names in the OFA database) but you need Flash to see anything on the site, and my phone doesn't support Flash. I didn't like that they said the puppies "had an eye exam" but maybe they do proper testing too.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Heatherfield did lose a bunch of dogs. I'm not sure why but I think it had something to do with ivermectin, but please don't quote me on that.

On the other hand, I think $1800 for a collie is outrageous unless the dog is a proven champion that you're going to show. I live in California where everything is more expensive and my dogs were $600 for Toby and $700 for Cameron. He was $100 more because if his testicle had dropped he was still a show potential.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Heatherfield has great reviews and supported by other collie breeders alike. Not saying not to still do the research, but I personally wouldn't worry to much.

Especially, since she just lost 10 of her dogs. I relooked up on Google and found on another breeder facebook, that all 10 dogs were loat, it wasn't from the Hartz deworming treatment, but it doesn't say what it was. I feel just awful for her.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Heatherfield did lose a bunch of dogs. I'm not sure why but I think it had something to do with ivermectin, but please don't quote me on that.

On the other hand, I think $1800 for a collie is outrageous unless the dog is a proven champion that you're going to show. I live in California where everything is more expensive and my dogs were $600 for Toby and $700 for Cameron. He was $100 more because if his testicle had dropped he was still a show potential.
I agree with you. When I was looking at collies Heatherfield came off my list based on her price alone. I found it absurd. Especially since other breeders were doing the same things with prices closer to yours.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I was still going to go with Heatherfield but with everything going on with everyone else I was starting to second guess and Willowy there are plaques at the house and ribbons and also on the website there are pictures of her bitch winning :) so she's not lying about that, but the prices are really high.....

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
$1800 is high for a collie. I would expect something between $600-$800, maybe a little more if you were buying a puppy that was going to be shown but even then nothing close to $1800.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yea I know but I was thinking because her dogs are so great the price is worth it
That only means something to me if I was going to be showing one of her dogs. You know? I mean her dogs are great because of their show worthy Ness.

Other breeders had the same health and temperment. And showing their dogs the same, for half the price. Especially for a pet quality puppy.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That only means something to me if I was going to be showing one of her dogs. You know? I mean her dogs are great because of their show worthy Ness.

Other breeders had the same health and temperment. And showing their dogs the same, for half the price. Especially for a pet quality puppy.
That's true :) I should look closer to me but if anyone has some recommendations it would be awesome

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thinking of going with another breeder in Iowa because they have much more reasonable prices $850.00 per puppy, they are further away though by A LOT the last breeder was 5 hours away this one is 13 hours >.> but they OFA test, eye test, and MDR1 tested as well :D so I'm a lot happier that it's all listed on the website

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's horrible but I still should've heard something from her even if it was something like "something horrible has happened so I can't answer you right now".... How long ago did she lose her dogs? Was it dogs she sold as puppies or her dogs she uses for breeding?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin'. (as in "conversationally" and all)

The two(2) best obedience dogs I've ever had (since 1972) were rescues. Neither had "show" looks, but were gorgeous in my eyes still. If I'm dropping that kinda $$$ on a dog from a breeder, it's gonna be a breeder I know from shows that I've interacted with for a good while. You don't have to participate in showing dogs, but you should be there a little bit to meet the people involved, and find out if you get along with each other as friends. That is important to me I guess.

Estes​

·
Registered
337 Posts
That's horrible but I still should've heard something from her even if it was something like "something horrible has happened so I can't answer you right now".... How long ago did she lose her dogs? Was it dogs she sold as puppies or her dogs she uses for breeding?
Her own personal dogs. From what I came across, they were still having updates on the remaining dog's conditions in early July. The last update was July 12th (June 18th appears to be the beginning of it all) giving the names of all nine of the dog's names who had passed. Only two survived. I can't imagine what they must be going through and I don't think I'd have it in me to respond to emails either in this kind of situation. How heartbreaking.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts