Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Welcome! You're definitely right about the pups bonding more with each other than with you because they are littermates. Luckily, there are things you can do to fix this issue. :) You'll need to take them places separately, train them separately, feed them separately, crate them separately, basically make sure they get one-on-one time with you (and anyone else in your household) so that they bond with you. There's lots of info online if you search for "littermate syndrome." This page has some basic info. Here's a good video from Ian and Kelly Dunbar, as well (skip to 6 minutes for the breakdown):

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
It sounds like you're on the right track! I started training recall very early with my pup, just letting him know that coming to me meant tasty treats. I don't think it's ever too early to start that, really! I started in the house with no distractions and worked my way up to the yard and then out in a ballpark. I don't think Casper will ever be 100% (and so I always keep him leashed in unfenced areas), although he is much better now than he was.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts