Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel really sad right now.

Clifford was in a lot of pain when I got in from work today, so I gave him a dose of his new pain pills (Tramadol) before I took him to his swimming lesson. He was restless in the car, which he always is when he hurts, but when I arrived he simply wouldn't get out. In fact, he wouldn't stand up all the way. He'd lever himself up on his front legs and never get the back off the floor of the car. I took him back home without his lesson...had to buy a MacDonald's cheeseburger to lure him out of the car upon arrival.

I fed the dogs when we got in. Took me quite a while to get Clifford up again and into the kitchen to eat. He ate lying down. Got about halfway through my own dinner when my mother alerted me that Clifford had just had an explosive bowel movement on the living room rug. (We have hardwood floors...why on the rug?!?) Sure enough...it was soft and covered a large expanse of rug. And dog. And soon it was on the kitchen floor, too, because I had to quarantine him there while I cleaned up. I had to give him a bath in the backyard, using cold hose water.

My father arrived just in time for all of this, which was very unfortunate, as he is not happy to be living with Clifford to begin with. It was extremely stressful.

I am worried about his extreme weakness today, as well as the digestive trouble, of course. The poo accident could be as a result of the new pain meds...but without the meds he's, well, in pain. More of a concern is the fact that he couldn't/wouldn't get out of the car or come into the kitchen to eat. Both of those are new lows for him. I will have to see how he does this weekend, but I had a terrible feeling today that the end is very near for Clifford. I feel very sad.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of Clifford's rough day, and I'm sorry you have to go through these tough days with him.
I took Tramadol this summer in fact, and it's not a very nice drug. So it could be that. I hope it's just that.

Come on Clifford, hang in there buddy.

and you hang in there too.

Keeping you guys in my thoughts.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Hugs to you, Clifford, and Alvin, as what you're going through right now is extremely difficult, I know.

Whatever happens, I know you will do what's best for your dog.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MissMutt, it's funny that you mentioned Alvin. He was very subdued this morning, after all the "excitement" last night. He's NOT a cuddly dog, but I sat down on the floor with him and he laid down with his head in my lap. I thought maybe he was feeling a little stressed, too. I almost didn't go to work...considered staying home just so I could be a dog pillow!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
FilleBelle, I am so sorry to hear about Clifford. You have given that poor boy a second chance and I am certain his life with you has been appreciated thus far. Maybe the vet will be able to offer some suggestions to help him. Maybe he needs to have his meds right after eating so as to not upset his stomach? Maybe a few more days of the meds in his system will make him hurt lets. My thoughts are with you. I know how hard it is to watch a dog you love in pain.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I had to rent a steam cleaner to get the freaking dog poo off the rug. Grrr...

Anyway, when used properly (duh), the new meds seem to be effective. I give them with dinner and Clifford sleeps well. He has not been sick since Thursday and he seems more mobile than he was last week. I don't know if the weakness and diarrhea were due to illness or the new meds, but it seems like he's doing at least a little better right now.

It did occur to me on Thursday/Friday when he was really bad that I need to find a vet (my own, hopefully) that will do in-home euthanasia. I'm going to need that number handy so that I'm ready when something bad really does happen.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Yep, it's always best to be prepared ahead of time, don't want to be scrambling for phone numbers and such when you need them.

I do hope that is not for a long time, and that Clifford's good days still outnumber his bad. He looks like such a sweetie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts