Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I were on our way home this afternoon when we saw a greyhound and a great dane playing together on the side of the road. This was quite an odd site where we live, sort of in the middle of nowhere. We just got a glimpse, but could see that the great dane was especially emaciated. We went back later and found the great dane. He is the most emaciated dog I've ever seen. The sad part, he gulped down a few bites of food, then walked to our car and let out a little growl. He was far more interested in not being left than he was in eating! DH had no intention of bringing him home, but was quickly won over ;-).

This dog is so sweet and even let me put a collar on him and look at his teeth. (He's young). He walks on a leash! I couldn't believe how much he likes human companionship in his condition -- not very fearful.

I've left a message with great dane rescue and greyhound rescue. I hope we can find the greyhound tomorrow!

·
Registered
637 Posts
hopefully the owners have lost their dogs and are desperately searching. i would take them to the vet and see if they are microchipped....

·
Registered
126 Posts
How nice to have gone back to help help them ((hug)).

Maybe since you only found the dane he was the stray... the greyhound may very well have gone back home. Otherwise wouldn't they have stayed together?

I feel terrible thinking the greyhound no longer has a buddy :(

... but at least the dane will sleep comfy with a full belly tonight.

Crossing my fingers you find the greyhound as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I realize that in a normal, populated area, trying to find a concerned owner would be the first logical thing to do. I have lived here most of my life, and I don't believe anyone is looking for either of them. He seemed like a fish out of water -- just having been left here in a very strange (to him) place. We didn't have to put him in the car -- he jumped in. This is a rural, backwoods county where dog-fighting is a problem. We think more and more people are driving to the country to unload their unwanted animals. There is no shelter or pound in our entire county. Also, his ears -- either a vet did a horrible ear job or someone decided to do home surgery, which has left them looking like no other ears I've ever seen. They lie forward, crossing each other towards the front. The tips have similar holes in them -- don't know if this was from a fight or cruelty.

Yes, it does seem strange to us that the greyhound seems to have disappeared. We are going to be on the lookout for it. Greyhound rescue has said they will take him/her if I catch him/her, but I haven't heard back from the great dane rescue.

This guy is growing on us. We had rigged together a couple of x-pens last night to put him in, and he waited until I walked him this morning to do his business, which makes me wonder if he's house-trained. He sticks to me like glue, and he's a leaner ;-). It's almost hard to look at him -- just skin and bones. I need to find out what special diet considerations he might need, having been so starved.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I hate to think that people could be so cruel as to just dump them... but (sigh) I know better. Maybe bring the dane along when you go looking for the greyhound... if you can walk him near where you found him I'm sure the greyhound would turn up in that spot eventually. Or the next time you brought the dane back he'd surely know the greyhound had been there the day before.

As far as feeding just feed him many small meals as opposed to larger meals.

Danes and mastiffs...huge dogs with even huger hearts. They'll follow you everwhere, want to be thisclose to you all the time, and they're favorite spot will be where ever your feet stop. It's quite an endearing quality.

Have you thought to name him? Or shall we keep refering to him as "the dane":D

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I'm glad you were able to rescue the Dane! I'll keep my fingers crossed that greyhound is found alive and save as well....

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
God bless you for saving this poor dog. I hope you can find the other dog as well and maybe find their owners. I have to say that with all my years in rescue, nothing surprises me anymore. I have known people to spend years with a dog and act the loving doggy parent only to toss them out on the street when another pup comes along. I cannot imagine what goes on in dogs minds when things like that occur. It is a good thing you came along when you did.

Any thoughts of keeping this wonderful pup? Should we be helping you to think of names? ;) :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, y'all are so dangerous!!! Just this morning DH was saying, if it wasn't for our inside male poodle, we could let the dane inside. I keep thinking of calling him Lucky, but that's not a good enough name for such a big guy. I'm a sort of "so many breeds, so little time" type of person, and great danes are a breed I have admired from afar. Our nephew has a very elderly one and we just happened to send him an email about this guy last night ;).

Both my sister and DH are going to look out for the greyhound and pick it up if seen. The irony is that I have a greyhound rescue guy saying he'll take the greyhound, and have struck out so far on the great dane rescue people. I'm hoping to hear back from another great dane group recommended to me this morning.

Next I'm going to attempt to upload some photos here.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The ears can be corrected with posting, it's not the crop they just weren't posted correctly. Get to a great dane forum and you can read up on posting the ears correctly or even find someone in your area to help you (or your nephew if he takes him) correct his ears.

Yes, he could use about 15-20 lbs put on him Poor fella. :cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Omg he is so thin poor thing. I can't imagine a big goofy great dane had to much luck "catching" his meal. Thank god you found him

Maybe his ears are tilted that way because he is so thin and dehydrated? Would gaining weight and filling out around the face maybe make them stand up straight?

Maybe... "Chance" as a name, since it was a chance encounter that saved his life.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Will your poodle not get along with another inside dog? Just curious. I wouldn't have had them together yet either. Especially not until Mr. Dane sees a vet to make sure he is thin from starvation and not illness.
He is lovely though. Hm, I wonder if he would get along with your dog??? ;) Just imagine how gorgeous he will be with another 15-20 pounds. :) :d

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hmm, Chance, now that's a consideration.

No, I don't think he'd have a chance of catching any food unless it fell from a bag ;).

Yes, he is so thin, but I'm resisting the temptation to feed him too much at once. And I'm rethinking that he might be house-trained :eek:.

I'm going to look for the greyhound this afternoon.

Inga, unfortunately, no, our male poodle can't stand another male dog in the house.

Also, I don't have any idea of what the dane may "have," so I'm just keeping them apart and washing my hands after I have touched him. Our female poodle, a standard, would probably just think, "Hey, there's someone to play with!"

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thank you so much for rescuing the Dane, Bless u and ur hubby!
He is so cute and skin and bones in the pic!
I hope the greyhound gets found... poor baby...

Please keep us updated!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts