Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heavy thunderstorms are rolling through. My oldest gets so scared. She has her thundershirt on but it doesn't help her much.

Lately, I've been whipping out the treats and hiding them around the house. Nothing gets Galaxy out of her fear as quickly as finding treats hidden throughout the house. I have 3 very happy dogs right now, and a thunderstorm rolling through.

I'm going to want to change it up a bit soon. What are some other diversions that work for you?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
First off, I LOVE the name Galaxy, so amazing.

Thunderstorms really only bother one of my dogs (I have 2) but the second one barks his head off, cause he thinks someone is outside.

I like to go through a small training exercise of: Off (for get off the couch, and quit barking in the window), sit (then get a treat), then down (another treat), then stay (and another treat if they stay). Then I will distract them with toys, or just let them hunker down on the couch with me. One of my dogs doesn't really care for affection at all (he's so self -dependent) but during storms he becomes more dependent on me.

I think I will try the game of Find sometime, too. Sounds like fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts