Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents recently adopted a 1 year old terrier mix as a "companion" for their 7 year old Cairn terrier. They were initially going to buy a dog, but I'm happy to say they decided to adopt through a rescue (their Cairn terrier was from a BYB), and took their time finding a dog that was a good match with their current dog.

They leave their older dog free during the day (they are lucky enough to both work about 3 minutes from their house, so they can come home to let him out) and they leave the new dog out, too.

They want her to play with the older dog during the day, and though they get along great, that's not enough stimulation for her. Nor does she have house manners, or manners in general. She does have loads and loads of energy. So does their older dog, but he's never been destructive. She's tearing up their carpets and books and dumping the water bowl and just being a young, bored dog.

They scold her, but aren't otherwise doing anything mean. I've explained to them that dogs don't have a concept of guilt/spite, etc, and they were receptive to that idea and are trying to change things in the home to make her happier. They try to put up objects, but there's only so much to take away (furniture and rugs and such being fairly permanent things).

She has tons and tons of squeaker toys and regular chews that stay out all the time. I thought maybe putting up the toys and only giving her a few at a time, maybe that would make them more novel and fun again?

Anyway, I've gotten my folks to get some treating puzzle toys, and stuffed frozen Kongs, but it's just not enough. They do walk the dogs once a day, but I'm thinking that's not enough. I think maybe they need to try and walk her when they come home to let her out, and possibly before they leave, as well as in the evening. Is that overkill?

I know they want her to be out of the crate for their other dog to play with during the day, but would crating in this case be a better idea until they're better managing her boredom?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Is she crate trained? I would say that crating is a must, immediately, because she could easily get an obstruction and need emergency surgery. Just tell them that -- do they want to spend thousands of dollars so she can have the luxury of chewing up their stuff while they're gone? Nope.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If they are dead set on having the two dogs out together, could they get a baby gate and put them in an area with tile or linoleum?

It also might help to have some toys that are still novel. So instead of leaving a kong out ALL the time to be played with and consequently bored with, rotate toys. On monday, give a stuffed kong and buster cube. On Tuesday, give a bully stick and a stuffie. etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is she crate trained? I would say that crating is a must, immediately, because she could easily get an obstruction and need emergency surgery. Just tell them that -- do they want to spend thousands of dollars so she can have the luxury of chewing up their stuff while they're gone? Nope.
I didn't even think of the danger! Jeez, that should have been the first thing. I will relay that message first thing tomorrow. Thanks.

As far as crate training, I know that they have a crate for her to sleep in at night, and they've never mentioned her being stressed by it or relieving herself in there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have baby-gated the area of the house that is carpeted and has all the "good stuff" (aka books, magazines, wicker furniture, and the toys my son plays with when he visits). For the rest, doors are closed, and it's mostly laminate flooring, but she'll get cushions and whatnot too.

The kitchen is where they keep the water, and so why they can't stay in the kitchen during the day I don't understand. They sort of got offended when I suggested that they limit the dogs to only one room. I guess because they know their older dog likes to "look out the windows" and lay on the couches and whatnot. I've never actually understood why their dog had to have free run of the whole entire house (because before they started coming home for lunch, he would potty wherever he wanted during the day). But they don't see him as a dog for the most part -- he's definitely treated like a kid.

I will tell them to rotate her toys, too.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I crate Eddee when I have to leave. He is a terror of a live wire and bores easily. All great advice from all the other posts. But I make sure Eddee gets to run every day ... whether it be on a 50 foot line or just chasing a ball .... he is easily bored. I allow the other two dogs alone ... one is a crate destroyer but leaves the house alone and the other has had no issues for 6 years now. I would not have a house left if Eddee were left to his own devices and he would definitely injure himself. :/

Maybe a good jaunt a day would help .... and the sights and sounds and smells would help her to be a bit more content along with all the other suggestions. I am sure your parent's already having a Terrier ... know these guys are little busy bodies. :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
They want her to play with the older dog during the day, and though they get along great, that's not enough stimulation for her. Nor does she have house manners, or manners in general. She does have loads and loads of energy. So does their older dog, but he's never been destructive. She's tearing up their carpets and books and dumping the water bowl and just being a young, bored dog.
You might also explain to your parents that its not the best idea to leave two dogs alone together, especially two with such a short history together. The younger could irritate the older with all her young energy & a fight could ensue, which could cause serious injury to one or both dogs. Just because they get along doesn't mean that they can't have a spat.

Sounds like the young one needs a LOT more exercise. My terrier mix needs 2 one hour walks a day, with some sprints & time for smelling included. Plus, play time. Plus, training to exercise her mind. If your parents add some more exercise and some training, they'll probably find they have a calmer dog who's happy to just sleep when they're not home.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I find I have more trouble when my dogs are left out together than when they are alone. If they are by themselves they lay on the couch and chew a bone. When they are out together things become tug toys and stuff gets knocked over from playing.

Luckily I now have a "dog room" with linoleum and that is where they stay during the day.

We gave my SO's parents a dog a while back and they gave it free roam of their house. I offered to by them a kennel but they declined. They have now had to replace carpet and door frames because of it. Anytime a new dog comes into my house they are crated when I am not able to monitor them. It protects all dogs and belongings involved.

When I get new fosters I will put Einstein Kongs and bones in their cages with them.

One last thing, I understand wanting another dog as a playmate, I did the same thing with mine. But I also made sure they got other stimulation and exercise outside of just each other.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If you want, I could find the multiple stories I have read of people who left two dogs alone only to come home to find one or both dead.

This is the problem with getting a dog for your existing dog rather than for yourself. If you want a second dog for you so that you can train it and exercise it and play with it and keep it safe, that's fantastic, there are lots of dogs that need homes. Getting a dog for your dog, however, creates this situation: an untrained, poorly exercised dog who is in a potentially very dangerous situation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with all your explanations and points as to why the situation is problematic whole-heartedly. If it's okay, I'll probably compile your answers for them to read. They know I'm on dog forums on the Internet that include people leagues more experienced than I am, so hopefully they will take this all seriously. If not, I'll just keep on them about it. The more I read, the more it sounds like she needs way, way more exercise and definitely needs to be crated for her safety.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts