Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted a adorable Lab mix puppy who's almost 3 months old , and he's wonderful! His foster mom has potty trained him already. He had one accident in the house a few days ago, but he learned his lesson and doesn't go potty anywhere in the house anymore. We wanted to crate him because we were worried that he would demolish everything he got into, but he doesn't. He sleeps in a small room with my daughter, and we puppy proofed the room. We left him there for 2-3 hours with a filled Kong and a few chew toys, and he didn't relieve himself in there at all. Is there a need for a crate?
Also, my puppy likes eating EVERYTHING. Even after his meals (we feed him two times per day, and a filled a Kong with a few treats in the afternoons) he's constantly sniffing around for more food. In the backyard, he chews on cat poop, and I always have to dig in his mouth so that I can throw it away (yuck!). He would find a bug or a plant and try to eat it, he likes chewing grass too. How do I make him stop trying to eat everything he sees?
Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would still get a crate. You needn't have him in it all the time, but definitely get him accustomed to being confined in one. You are in the sweetest stage of puppy-raising when they have picked up on what you want and are willing to do it. Fast forward to four or five months from now...which is when they figure out that you're not the center of the world and aren't as willing to do everything you ask them to. In this respect, it's probably better to get him used to the crate now, because I foresee you having to crate him in the future.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Once my dogs were potty trained, I stopped using crates. I don't even have a crate that would hold a full-size dog. My dogs are always loose in the house. I DO have gates though. We have built-in dog gates in our house. LOL That's just my experience. It depends on your needs. If you will need to crate him for travel or something in the future, definitely get a crate that will accomodate his full size and train him on it now. Never force him into the crate. :)

As regards him eating everything, control his environment. He's still too young (like a baby who puts everything in their mouth) to differentiate what to eat or not. So, puppy-proof his environment or watch him constantly. Or use a crate. :)

My dogs eat grass, too. It won't hurt them as long as it's not got pesticides on it. It's fun for them and tastes good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would get a crate too. I am a new puppy parent and at first, I really resisted in using one. But you know, my pup really,really likes his crate. For many weeks, I just had it open and he went in it on his own to sleep and rest. It's his safety zone. After a few weeks, I started using it to help potty train my pup, encouraging him to "hold it" for longer periods of time. Also, it's great for trips in the car. I am sooo glad I started him in a crate since he seems to be able to soothe himself easier and tolerate separation better. Also, it's really cute seeing him with it. When he picks a toy from the kid's room or a tasty treat, he runs off with it and brings it in his crate. By the end of the day, it's cute seeing all the treasures he found and brought back to his nest.

My brother has our pup's sibling and it's funny, they have a completely different way of raising her. She is free, sleeps with them, etc. Everytime you move her to a small room or confine her in any way, she freaks out, barks and whines. I am sure personality has something to do with it but I suspect the early crate training helped too to make our pup more calm and collected. He is, at least for now, a more well-behaved dog. I hope it stays that way! Anyway, good luck to you and congrats on your new puppy! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts