Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few questions

Benny is about 6 month old, hes a very confident dog however in new situations he does become a little timid, example i took him to a new place for a walk and he walked but he was a little shy...now am i right in assuming hes still just growing up and getting used to various different situations???

Also with other dogs, hes not affraid them...he has no problem playing with the dog when he is the one initiating the playing as in chasing them around and such, but when it turns around and hes the one being chased around he hates it...this is only with new dogs... There are two labs which are double his size who he plays tug of war with and has no problem when they chase him... is there anything i can do when he is playing with new dogs?? i do try to make him feel more comfortable by re-enforcing that its OK but just needs some more tips...thanks!!!!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Re: A few questions

It's normal for dogs to be skittish in new places/new surroundings. Keep doing the socialization....that's going to take another year or two.
As for the other dogs...not wanting to be chased. Good play always involves role reversals...chaser/chasee...on top then on bottom. If you're not seeing that, try to find a good role model/well socialized dog for a playdate.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as for the skiddishness i thought that was the case and i keep trying to introducing him to posotive new situations...

As for the playing, he plays with a Lab on my block thats twice his size, he is starting to get the role reversal part down with him only now should i bring both of them to a dog park so my dog can see the lab playing with other dogs in this manner?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You're better off setting playdates with one good role model then with another/different dog that is also a good role model.....eventually putting all 3 of them together. I know that's not always easy to find 2 or 3 'good' dogs. You could check out your local dog obedience club(s) for potential partners.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dog was also behaving the same way when I'd take her to a new location, but I decide that whenever I 'd do that, I'll make sure that it's not empty. She's not shy around other dogs so I like taking her to places that are not too empty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts