Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you remember my posts from a while back, my wife and I ended up adopting a border collie -- it was hit by a car and the owner never answered our fliers/ads. Instead of sending an injured dog to a shelter, we added him to our already existing family of two dogs.

When we're gone, the dogs stay in a spare bedroom with toys and a dog door that leads to a 20x20 fenced in portion of the back yard.

Now that his leg is healed, this border collie is back to his old self. According to the vet, we lucked out and got a pretty well-mannered border collie compared to some. He's affectionate and likes to be around us; he's just obsessed with playing fetch.

My wife and I work the typical 8-hour day 5 days a week, so he's alone with the other dogs during that time. Obviously, a dog like that gets bored.

For a while, he was only destroying his soft toys. Then we came home to find that he had pulled out the stuffing of one of the dog beds.

And as a 2-year-old intact male, he seems to be marking certain areas of the room.

I want to start walking him every day and playing frisbee outside so he at least has that routine to look forward to. Is there anything else i can do for him? We cannot afford to have anyone come in and play with him or walk him during the day.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
It won't change his activity level or anything, but I would suggest getting him neutered.

A routine is a great idea, and a daily walk is always a must for any dog.
Border collies are amazing athletes. You could get into frisbee competitions, or flyball, or agility, or even obedience.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
My bc does the same type thing, he destroys anything plushy, toys, dog beds, etc, but only when I'm not home. Walks and playing ball will help, but may not eliminate the problem. I crate my bc when I'm gone, even though my other dogs don't need to be crated. Leave him with some tough toys, nylabones and kongs are favorites here. Crating him would also take care of the marking issue. You might also try some trick training with him to burn off some mental energy. It sounds like you have a neat set up...I'd try adding some exercise and training and if that doesn't work, then try crating.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I second the opinion that you should get him neutered.

He's demonstrating these behaviors most likely because he has excess energy and he's bored, maybe a walk before you go to work might help to stop them. Also, after work, another walk, maybe fetch, and mental stimulation (taking an obedience class, trick training, agility, etc.) I would be careful about playing fetch too much though, as I have known many borders that are totally obsessed over it because it's the only exercise and mental stimulation they ever got.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sheepdogs need mental stimulation as well as physical.

For these dogs, their natural state is to herd. When they are doing this they are not only running around but they are thinking as well (cover, drive, etc.). This might be why your Border boy is getting a tad restless. Ive got a Kelpie and he is exactly the same.

Try going down to your local pet store and buy a few thinking games like a ball that you can put treats in, A Kong that you put peanut butter into... or home made ones like freezing some toys into a ice-cream container where the water has a tiny bit of chicken stock mixed in.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Sheepdogs need mental stimulation as well as physical.

For these dogs, their natural state is to herd. When they are doing this they are not only running around but they are thinking as well (cover, drive, etc.). This might be why your Border boy is getting a tad restless. Ive got a Kelpie and he is exactly the same.

Try going down to your local pet store and buy a few thinking games like a ball that you can put treats in, A Kong that you put peanut butter into... or home made ones like freezing some toys into a ice-cream container where the water has a tiny bit of chicken stock mixed in.
the treat things would not be a good idea as this dog is in a room w/ other dogs....this could well be a recipe for disaster.....however, i would highly recommend burning some energy in the morning b/4 you leave for work....maybe you could do some fetch for about 15-20 min and some mental (hiding things for him to find, training, etc) and then about 2 hrs when you get home of high exercise/mental stimulation is in order when you get home...getting him neutered will help a lot w/ his behaviors but i can guarantee it won't calm him down....anything you do w/ him, make sure that you call the shots as to when and how long, keeping in mind that w/ the training Borders tend to "shut down" when they have learned something and it is just repeated over and over w/ out something new or a new twist of it thrown in.....i have 5 and they definitely keep me on my toes, and w/ this cold weather i haven't been able to give them the physical outlet that they need....warm weather HURRY UP:D!!!!!

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts