Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Jasper out to our pasture today to take some time and play and get some photos! He was on a cable run with a back up long line for security, but I edited out the lines in these shots so they weren't a distraction.

First, an artsy one... he looks very Malamute-like in this shot (just leggier!) -

His best coyote impression? Poor thing, you can really see how much weight he still needs to put on.

Wolfy muzzle and head shape - he has a more moderate stop than a lot of wolfdogs but he has the narrow muzzle, all right -

I think this one is adorable!! I wish it wasn't completely blurry. I sat down on the ground and was taking pics from that level, and he was just so curious about why I was in such a funny pose, that he had to come and investigate! I love how his head is cocked a little, and his eyes look so soft and kind. For all his intimidating appearance, he really is such a sweet and loveable goofball. I think this pic really shows it.

One more...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trotting along... again, you can see how underweight he is yet. He's actually put on weight since he arrived. But, look at that reach in his front legs! He can match that with his hinds too when he really gets trotting. It's no wonder that these guys have incredible endurance.

Hope you all enjoyed!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
His best coyote impression? Poor thing, you can really see how much weight he still needs to put on.

This is where he REALLY looks like a wild animal. Most coyotes/wolves are on the thin side and this really emphasis it. I think he is so beautiful and the "fuzzy" one has such a sweet expression on his face. I'm so glad you took him in and that I/we get to watch him grow into the wonderful animal he will become because of your hard work.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, adding a few more taken this morning...

I don't know why my camera is having such a hard time taking shots on the action setting in the kennel - they are coming out so dark and grainy! But, you can see how much Jazz enjoys leaping over the doghouses - sometimes he'll entertain himself by just leaping over them back and forth, grinning like a maniac!

A very pretty shot of him. I like how it shows his fur texture - it's not soft, it's coarse but a little silky, and feels like a wild pelt.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I love him!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Such a beautiful animal! When I first saw him I had to look very closely to see how he differed from Bandit but these pics make the differences very clear. Lovely, lovely.

·
Registered
487 Posts
This is where he REALLY looks like a wild animal. Most coyotes/wolves are on the thin side and this really emphasis it. I think he is so beautiful and the "fuzzy" one has such a sweet expression on his face. I'm so glad you took him in and that I/we get to watch him grow into the wonderful animal he will become because of your hard work.
He looks very thin. Are wold-dogs supposed to be that thin? I didn't think full wolves were that thin but I don't know that much about them.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're right, he is underweight... he needs to put on quite a few pounds.

However, wolves and wolfdogs are on the narrow side, with legs spaced close together and a narrow chest and frame. His thin summer coat is emphasizing everything, too. But all that said, he does need to gain weight before he will look the way he's supposed to. His spine and shoulders are prominent and I feel awful that his previous owner was so negligent.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Oh, I didn't know you just recently got him. What were the circumstances that led to his owner giving him away? How much does he weigh? Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
He's gorgeous. I am glad he's found a better home. Are all of yours wolf-dogs?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bonn, he was a rescue; he was found running stray by a pound near me, and was scheduled to be euthanized. I couldn't let that happen so I pulled him and took him home. I think he weighs about 65 lbs, if I remember correctly from the vet visit. He should be closer to 80 or so.

He's gorgeous. I am glad he's found a better home. Are all of yours wolf-dogs?
Nope, just Jasper. :) Willow and Bandit are just wannabes. ;)

·
Registered
487 Posts
HA! I guess you get asked the question about them all being wold-dogs a lot! They each could certainly pass! I love that "wolfish" look that they all have. Some day I'd love to have a wolf-dog. There's dozens of other breeds I'd love to have too, though!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Skinny or not he is gorgeous. He and Bandit have similar facial markings (the "mask" around their eyes)...maybe it's a guy thing! ;) But I love seeing Jasper and Willow playing...he gets such great air! And I bet there are a lot of animals who wish they had a "kennel" like yours have. Pretty neat setup.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Awsome animal, ever since i had been around my neigbors wolfdog i have had a real love for them, originaly i was going to buy one from the same breeder that the neigbor got his from but i decided to research it first.

Turned out that i would have to wait to get the proper set up and be sure i could train him correctly before hand, from what i understand, these animals require more of a commitment than a good old fassioned dog and are not the best types to start out with.

A month later, i decided my two beagle/lab mixes would be a good first step before i take on a wolfdog, that's not to say i would not have taken my neigbors had i the chance to do so, they were clueless about dogs and had no bussiness buying "Wolfie" in the first place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts