Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

3 weeks ago, a dog bit me while i was passing by in the neighborhood, my neighbor told me that it was vaccinated, i didn't get any anti-rabies/tetanus shots. and the dog that bit me is still alive until now. so, am i likely to get rabies?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If the dog is up to date on their rabies vaccine you are safe from rabies. As for tetanus it would have been best for you to make sure YOU are up to date on your vaccine. Infection is the biggest risk with a dog bite, if it is healing fine and the bite was 3 weeks ago I'd guess you are fine.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I don't know about rabies/tetanus but if you did not provoke this dog, I would report the bite to animal control. Unless there are some extenuating circumstances surrounding what happened.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Report the bite. You have to be immune to tetanus not the dog. I would never believe someone who said "don't worry my dog is vaccinated." Reporting it means that they will officially watching the dogs for rabies (around here that puts them isolation in the county shelter, a vet's office or under extreme circumstances at home) but strict isolation/observation.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It's a fair bet the OP isn't living in the U.S. or Canada. Probably there's nobody to report to.

Anyway, if the dog is still alive 3 weeks after the bite, the dog was not shedding rabies at the time of the bite. Guaranteed.

Of course, tetanus is a whole different matter and it's not late to go get a booster. I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
most likely what sir willowy stated, I'm not living in the US or Canada.

but sir, what if it was not vaccinated and still alive for 3 weeks?

I don't know about rabies/tetanus but if you did not provoke this dog, I would report the bite to animal control. Unless there are some extenuating circumstances surrounding what happened.
I didn't provoke it, it was sleeping when I passed by.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If the dog is alive for 3 weeks, you do not have rabies. That is not how rabies works.
Yeah, that. Cats, dogs, and ferrets have been studied extensively (rabies vaccine is not approved for any other species, because the studies haven't been done), and the studies show that the animal will be dead (or at least showing severe symptoms) within 10 days of shedding the rabies virus. So if the dog is still alive 3 weeks later, he was not shedding rabies when he bit you. That's why animals involved in a bite incident are usually quarantined for 10-14 days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts