Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my granddaughters recent surgery that scared the begezzus out of us she told her daddy " A puppy would make me feel really good daddy " So today daddy came home from work with a little chihauha she has named Charlie. Daddy just couldnt resist them big baby blue eyes and pouty mouth! This will help make up for the awful week she had. WELCOME TO THE FAMILY CHARLIE !

·
Banned
96 Posts
I sure hope that Daddy likes taking care of Chihuahuas, including feeding, walking, cleaning up, and playing :)
^^^ this. A lot of the chihuahuas a had taken into rescue/foster, their owners had good intentions but the animal was eventually dropped because they didn't truly understand/want the responsibility. No one should get a dog on a whim IMO whether a child is sick or not.
I hope they did research on the breed and found one with a suitable temperament and appropriate health testing (or at least a rescue).... but I kind of doubt it (correct me if I'm wrong).

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They had already been looking for a pup or cat. The last dog they had was a HUGE yellow lab, Bruno, who died about a year ago .Plus my daughter LOVES dogs ( wonder where she got that from lol ) and is a stay at home mom. The timing just worked out right to get it while Olivia is laid up. Gives her a buddy to hang out with while she can't go play with the other kids ! I just thought it super cute that Liva told her dad a puppy would make her feel better !

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I will see if my daughter can post some pics for me !! , Little Charlie is the dream dog, he does not bark, asks to go potty, won't jump on furniture unless invited and has barely left Olivias side while she has been laid up on the couch ! I think my son in law picked a winner ! So far the girls have painted his nails, dressed him in baby clothes and put him to bed in the dolly bed oh and went for a walk in the dolly stroller !!! I honestly don't think his feet have hit the floor since he got here ( kids carry him everywhere ). AND my 2 year old grandson who is delayed in speech ( in therapy for it ) has learned one new word "dog dog " he doesnt say alot but he does use sign language ! I may just have to sneak him into my luggage and take him home with me !\

Pray for nice weather next weekend, if Olivia is up to it I am taking the kids to disney land. We have a lifetime free pass since my grandfather was a carpenter that helped to build it!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwe .... I second pictures of Charlie! :) Being someone is always home ... I think Charlie has lucked out! Lol! _)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^ this. A lot of the chihuahuas a had taken into rescue/foster, their owners had good intentions but the animal was eventually dropped because they didn't truly understand/want the responsibility. No one should get a dog on a whim IMO whether a child is sick or not.
I hope they did research on the breed and found one with a suitable temperament and appropriate health testing (or at least a rescue).... but I kind of doubt it (correct me if I'm wrong).
YES he was a rescue and as I stated they had been thinking of a new dog since they lost thier beloved lab last year. I grew up around dogs as did my kids and I was a breeder of border collies for several years ( untill someone poisened by bitch along with 5 other dogs in the neighborhood the same day ) I appreciate your concerns but please dont jump to conclusions about my knowledge or views on the care of dogs ! BTW all my border collies were health/eye/hips tested and registered with AKC,UKC, and ABCA ( american border collie association ) My kids have been raised to think the same as I do,pets are family FOREVER !!!

·
Banned
96 Posts
I think people need to be more careful jumping to conclusions.
If you have rescued as many unwanted chihuahuas as I have you would be a bit defensive and possibly presumptuous too. I went by what she said in her original post, not by what she said in her later posts.
Hope all goes well with the puppy.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
She's a long time member here and knows what she's doing. Many here have rescued dogs but they don't jump on people the way you did.

Congratulations! We need pics ^^

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
If you have rescued as many unwanted chihuahuas as I have you would be a bit defensive and possibly presumptuous too. I went by what she said in her original post, not by what she said in her later posts.
Hope all goes well with the puppy.
Odiesmom has been around since 07, so most of us who have been around a while have a good feel for posters. That isn't to say sometimes people go off the rails, but a way to explain why I wouldn't have questioned this thread.

I've rescued all sorts of unwanted dogs and work for a shelter and still try not to be presumptuous. It happens, but it doesn't make it any more becoming.

·
Banned
96 Posts
I was being true to my experiences. A "daddy got a puppy for a sick child" has usually been a red flag situation for me. I can respect the fact that I've not been on here long enough to "get a feel" for specific members but then see how this red flag may look to a relatively new member....
I don't say things to assuage people or make them feel warm and fuzzy (I'm not a warm and fuzzy type). I still stand by the randomness of-- getting the puppy when a child makes a quick request in sickness and it perhaps not being the best time to make such a large decision. Also was questioning the breed choice... a lot of chihuahuas are just NOT kids dogs so if it's not a health tested/registered animal then they don't know what line they are acquiring from. May be a typical neurotic byb chihuahua... (for all I know and I don't believe the OP specified where the puppy was from). That's aside from the general fragility of the breed (broken legs are pretty typical) as well as a molera (open fontanelle in puppy's head) that can be a danger when not properly supervised.
I stand by what I said. If it makes people uncomfortable to hear the truth then why are we on a public forum where everyone has a right to their individual opinion. I have not broken any forum rules have I?
Edit: read back and saw that the chi was a rescue although I am curious which rescue it was from.

·
Banned
96 Posts
YES he was a rescue and as I stated they had been thinking of a new dog since they lost thier beloved lab last year. I grew up around dogs as did my kids and I was a breeder of border collies for several years ( untill someone poisened by bitch along with 5 other dogs in the neighborhood the same day ) I appreciate your concerns but please dont jump to conclusions about my knowledge or views on the care of dogs ! BTW all my border collies were health/eye/hips tested and registered with AKC,UKC, and ABCA ( american border collie association ) My kids have been raised to think the same as I do,pets are family FOREVER !!!
Is the dog a puppy or an adult? I didn't jump to any conclusions about the care of your dogs, although I may have jumped to conclusions on where you got the dog (or more like your son/daughter, not you specifically).
I questioned A. The timing of the puppies arrival or the circumstances with which it was aquired and B. the breed of choice and whether it was proven to be an appropriate dog for a child.
I don't believe those are inappropriate questions. Most people would feel very comfortable answering them...?

American Pit Bull Terriers (and bulldog breeds) and Chihuahuas are the breeds most likely to end up in shelters, rescues and SPCA's. I have a soft spot for both and YES may become a tad but defensive...

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
LOL yes you have a right to your opinion, and others have a right to their opinion of your opinion.

It's not about being warm and fuzzy... What a few people are trying to tell you is that we know the OP well enough to not immediately jump to assume the worst about the situation. You can either believe us, or you can insist that your opinion about someone that others know better than you do is fact. *shrug*

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
lovejc was just expressing concern for the dog, because her points were perfectly valid. It's good to know this dog will be taken care of, but lets face it, if a newer member had popped up on here and said 'I gave/received a dog as a present' most members would be immediately jumping down their throats and nothing would be said to them.
I don't see what she said that was rude or presumptuous. But that's just me.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
This kind of thing happens in places. I am also relatively new here, but I have read ALL the way back - I have time on my hands, and in ipad, Dog Forums was my reading of choice for MONTHS before I joined. Like I read back far enough to RonE getting his lab. I don't think someone not realizing that/doing that is a bad thing. I also don't think other people going 'whoa. we know this person. it's okay' is jumping down her throat. Bottom line? It takes a while to get to know the community you are in, and the people in it. Frankly, I think OP handled it really well and - Don't understand why there's any particular conflict over it. It's a thing. It happens.

·
Banned
96 Posts
LOL yes you have a right to your opinion, and others have a right to their opinion of your opinion.

It's not about being warm and fuzzy... What a few people are trying to tell you is that we know the OP well enough to not immediately jump to assume the worst about the situation. You can either believe us, or you can insist that your opinion about someone that others know better than you do is fact. *shrug*
My opinion is based on the general public and being involved in rescue/fostering for about 6 years (just finished, too emotionally draining and financially consuming). A title of a thread saying "a doggy would make me feel so much better daddy" freaks me right out.
Just because there are conversations on the Internet for 5 or so years doesn't mean you know that person in depth or what they are actually like... (not saying this person is bad)...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts