Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dog is 2 years old. We got him as a 8 week old puppy and I was always his primary caretaker - potty trained him, took him to the vet, took him to puppy training class, fed him and walked him all the time. When he was 8 months old we started doing major reconstruction in our house and moved in with my parents for 2 months. During this time he became very attached to my dad and my dad absolutely fell in love. My dad started walking him and feeding and playing and they became inseparable. When it was time to move back home my dad did not take it well and missed him terribly and since then he takes the dog for the weekend almost every week, so 2 out of 7 days the dog spends at my parents' house. On Sunday evening I pick him up and bring him back home and he stays with me until Saturday. The dog seems to take it pretty well - he knows that both homes have different rules and know what rules he is expected to follow. He sleeps in my parents' bed when staying with them but sleeps in his own bed in a fenced off play yard when "home". He has the same feeding/walking/sleeping/playing schedule at both homes. He doesn't seem to be missing my dad when I bring him home and is happy playing or napping. But when staying with my parents he follows my dad everywhere and is constantly looking for him making sure he didn't leave. I know that dogs need consistent routines so my question is -does anybody else have this weird arrangement? I don't want my dog to be stressed out by this change every week. I don't want him wondering where his other owner is half the time. May be I am overthinking this? Anybody with similar stories to share?

And before anyone asks, yes I considered giving him to my parents full time, but my kids would freak out if i did that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't want a puppy at this point....it was so much work and I am so glad that stage is over. My son is super attached to the dog, this particular one and doesn't want any other. My daughter less so, but my son would have a very hard time parting with him. So this split home situation is here to stay. Glad to hear it worked for others.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.