Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dog is 2 years old. We got him as a 8 week old puppy and I was always his primary caretaker - potty trained him, took him to the vet, took him to puppy training class, fed him and walked him all the time. When he was 8 months old we started doing major reconstruction in our house and moved in with my parents for 2 months. During this time he became very attached to my dad and my dad absolutely fell in love. My dad started walking him and feeding and playing and they became inseparable. When it was time to move back home my dad did not take it well and missed him terribly and since then he takes the dog for the weekend almost every week, so 2 out of 7 days the dog spends at my parents' house. On Sunday evening I pick him up and bring him back home and he stays with me until Saturday. The dog seems to take it pretty well - he knows that both homes have different rules and know what rules he is expected to follow. He sleeps in my parents' bed when staying with them but sleeps in his own bed in a fenced off play yard when "home". He has the same feeding/walking/sleeping/playing schedule at both homes. He doesn't seem to be missing my dad when I bring him home and is happy playing or napping. But when staying with my parents he follows my dad everywhere and is constantly looking for him making sure he didn't leave. I know that dogs need consistent routines so my question is -does anybody else have this weird arrangement? I don't want my dog to be stressed out by this change every week. I don't want him wondering where his other owner is half the time. May be I am overthinking this? Anybody with similar stories to share?

And before anyone asks, yes I considered giving him to my parents full time, but my kids would freak out if i did that.

·
Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
If the dog seems okay with it, and you're okay with it, then why not, I guess? And it kind of gives you a break from caring for a dog on the weekends so you can do your own thing. If it brings both your dad and the dog pleasure, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I had a truly great GSD when I got divorced. My new land lord would not allow my dog to stay alone in the apartment weekedays when I was at work. I had the dog weekends and my Dad and Mom had the dog weekdays. The dog was happy (tho she was clearly MY dog in her heart). She recognized my Father's hearing problems and became his hearing alert dog (just on her own). They would go squirrel hunting together and hiking in the woods together.

Weekends she was with me and we did similar activities.

She was fine.

I suspect if you got a puppy at this point your kids would be less likely to freak out at the idea of the dog you have living with your Father FT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't want a puppy at this point....it was so much work and I am so glad that stage is over. My son is super attached to the dog, this particular one and doesn't want any other. My daughter less so, but my son would have a very hard time parting with him. So this split home situation is here to stay. Glad to hear it worked for others.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My sister divorced her husband and while the situation is a little different - her son takes the dog with him to whichever house he staying at (mom or dad). The dog seems to do well and follows the rules of each house. It's been about four years now and it's still working well for them. Obviously this dog is with his "person" (my nephew) the entire time but he doesn't seem too upset by the change in houses/routines/etc. I think if everyone is happy with the situation then the situation works even if it's a bit different.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
It will be fine. I spent a year working 2 hours away from home. My dog and I went up to stay with my parents during the work week (where they walked him and spoiled him while I was at work) and then drove home on the weekends to our house with my husband. Once we moved both of my dogs used to spend days at my parents' house and my female still goes there for a few days when she's in heat. Most dogs are pretty adaptable and have their routines at each place, and their relationships with people in each household.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts