Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have a chihuahua that whines non-stop. He is turning 4 years old, and I've had him since he was a puppy. Even when I first got him, he wouldn't stop whining all the way home. Little did I know that would be a permanent trait of his.

I do not give into his whining, I never did. Yet, he continues to whine. Nothing is wrong with him medically, he has been to the vet and he does regular check ups.

At 1 year old, I gave him away because I couldn't take it. That lady who adopted him had 3 other chihuahuas herself, and even she couldn't handle the dog. She gave him back to me 2 weeks later.

This dog not only whines when I leave (separation anxiety), but whines when he smells other dogs in the hallway of the apartment, whines when he's bored, whines just to whine. He always whines.

I've tried giving him a treat before I leave, walking him before I go, ignoring him when I leave/come...it doesn't work.

It doesn't help that this dog has the energy level higher than a German Sheppard. I kid you not. I have taken him out to run and play for hours, and when I come home, he starts whining to go out again. I take him out again, and he's STILL not tired. This dog can go hiking and I swear to you he wouldn't be tired. Maybe that's part of the reason he whines - he has so much energy he doesn't know what to do with it.

At one point I was taking him out 6-8 times a day when i was not in school (during the summer months). It does not work. He's still not tired. If any of you tells me to take him out more often, that is simply not possible. I would have to take him outside 24/7. I think he belongs in the farmland where he could run free all day, seriously.

I'm getting sick of him and I'm thinking of giving him away again. Nothing works. I don't know what to do anymore. I moved to a new apartment and I know my neighbors will eventually complain.

Currently my dog is looking out the window, whining, at 11:07pm. We went out at 9pm to go for a walk in the park, I walked him again when I got home. So 2 hours of being busy and he still keeps going. I'm ignoring him as usual - doesn't help at all. Even if I put him on the ground and there's nothing to look at/whine at, he'll whine at the door.

I'm getting so sick of this dog but I don't want to give him up. Please help.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I feel your pain. One of the sweetest dogs I've ever had whined constantly for no discernible reason. I never did find a way to stop it other than putting him in a different room with the door closed and then he would bark. :) Well, the one thing that *seemed* to stop it was one of those battery devices that puts out a terrible noise that only dogs and cats can hear. But I only used it once or twice because it seemed cruel and there was no reason to torture the cats also if they were in the same room.

I'll be curious if someone smarter than I has solved this problem. I can tell you that our current dog, a terrier mix, *never* whines but she barks for attention sometimes and it's ear splitting. Sigh.

·
Super Moderator
7,306 Posts
He definitely gets plenty of exercise, but how much training/mental stimulation does he get? I see often with high energy dogs, people focus solely on physical exercise in an attempt to wear them out, but that just isn't possible, you'll simply increase their physical endurance so that they can handle higher and higher levels of exercise. Exercise is absolutely important, but you also need to exercise them mentally, in fact, mental exercise can be far more tiring than physical exercise is. I'd do several short training sessions a day, and get some puzzle toys to feed him his dinner in. I'd also look for any break at all in the whining, even if it's just for a second, and reward it with yummy treats and praise. Ideally, he should realize that being quiet is an awesome thing.

If that doesn't work, it could be an anxiety issue, and just like with humans, some dogs need medication to help them cope. Not always or even often long term, but it can really take the edge off to enable you to work on teaching them alternate behaviour. I know you've had him checked out physically, but if increasing mental stimulation and rewarding quiet behaviour doesn't work, I'd talk to your vet about the possibility of him having anxiety issues and trying him on some anti-anxiety medication.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dogs whine for many reasons. Attention-seeking combined with insecurity (a timid dog) are my experience with my second dog, a super sweet if non-assertive Cocker Spaniel. I got him to ease off a great deal by working with him, but he never really got over it all the way. To tell you the truth, for the first two months after he passed, I would come home and think I heard him whining.

And I missed it...

Kleenex moment aside, here's a good article, discussing the reasons behind whining and some ways to address it depending on the circumstances: How to Curb Whining in Dogs. Assess and apply accordingly. I found the ignore and avoid touch/eye contact, only turning toward them when they go silent, turning away when they whine, and so on, worked in part.

One quick tip: are there any positive situations under which he doesn't whine? If so, is there anything you can replicate from those situations in other circumstances to get him to ease off or stop altogether?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts