Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an avid hiker and also an avid supporter of positive reinforcement training methods. I follow several "insta-famous" accounts that live in scenic places like Colorado, British Columbia, etc, and hike with their dogs. They've gained their following based on the beautiful pictures with their dogs in the mountains and other scenic locations. That's for sure why I followed them - living vicariously through their pictures! Inspiration for planning adventures.

Just today, one posted thanking a training facility for all of their help with their dogs. I clicked and viewed the profile of the trainer. Shock collars and choke chains on every dog, including puppies, blatantly belittling people who use clickers and positive methods. One post called people out who keep their dog on a leash instead of just using a shock collar to recall them, because it's cruel to keep a dog on leash for it's whole life. It obviously put a huge damper on my view of these people and their dogs. Yeah, the dogs live great lives (so it seems), but it makes me question the relationship they have with them, the effort the actually put into training, and makes me remember that lots of things on social media are just "for the gram".

So, I guess there wasn't much of a point to this post...just a vent. I unfollowed all of the accounts that were related to this training facility. Anyone follow any good dog people on instagram they recommend?

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Not Instagram (although she likely has one), but YouTuber Jenna Marbles recently got a rescue greyhound and she and her partner have been doing everything so right. She has a huge following, so it's great to see her talking about positive reinforcement, how dogs can't learn when over threshold, that growls are communication, what resource guarding is and how to deal with it, and so on. It's clear she's read a lot about dog behavior based on the explanations she has in her videos. I love seeing that kind of stuff go out to such a wide audience.

Here's a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA1QKpKuSd4
This too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YlYpmZTcvs

Those videos have 6.75 million and 5.25 million views, respectively, so that's a lot of people learning about dog behavior just by watching their favorite YouTuber's content.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not Instagram (although she likely has one), but YouTuber Jenna Marbles recently got a rescue greyhound and she and her partner have been doing everything so right. She has a huge following, so it's great to see her talking about positive reinforcement, how dogs can't learn when over threshold, that growls are communication, what resource guarding is and how to deal with it, and so on. It's clear she's read a lot about dog behavior based on the explanations she has in her videos. I love seeing that kind of stuff go out to such a wide audience.

Here's a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA1QKpKuSd4
This too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YlYpmZTcvs

Those videos have 6.75 million and 5.25 million views, respectively, so that's a lot of people learning about dog behavior just by watching their favorite YouTuber's content.
I love Jenna! Thanks for reminding me about her and her dogs. I've been watching her for quite some time, but haven't been caught up since she got the new dog. She has always been extremely receptive to learning and correcting things if she does make a misstep which is admirable. I'm happy to hear she is doing things right with the new dog, and I'm sure she is making an impression on her following about using positive methods for dog training, which is great.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I always look at the back story on trainers. What have they accomplished? ANY titles other than Breed Ring?? No??? As WVasko used to tell me.. "one dog wonder's" giving advice.. and they don't know.

The other day someone I had not seen in over 45 years posted on a photo I shared (from Australia) of a girl (maybe 10 years old) riding a horse. She was carrying a Quirt (not using it!) and the photo was a quite funny. This person proceeded to say that "any use of whips is wrong and spurs are just as wrong." I tried to engage him in a conversation about the use of both as a more precise way to communicate with a horse.. (which is appropriate) but he already had his mind made up and "knew." There was no meaningful exchange of ideas.

This person proceeded to tell everyone that "I" did all of these "cruel" things to my horses and dogs (including accusing me of having my dogs kenneled 24/7 which is a total lie!!.. I use kennels for sure when I am at work so the dogs are safe and can relieve themselves.. and I have both indoor (as in heated/ cooled) and outdoor kennels. But he "knew." Needless to say I unfriended and blocked.. I do not mind someone disagreeing with something on Social Media but false accusations based in NO knowledge really annoy me!

I do not put myself out there as a dog trainer for hire. I certainly use R+ methods. I also DO use an electric collar (it is part of "suiting up" for Obedience and protection) but I rarely need to actually hit any buttons. I was actually thinking about this yesterday when I was doing some obedience. I usually put the collar on but never hit the button (where I train is unfenced and as obedient as my dog is, training is off leash so I rather have and not need than need and not have). All my dogs wear a long link fursaver "choke" collar but we NEVER hook it in a Live Ring (this is actually forbidden in competition and why risk a collapsed trachea?). I am sure someone seeing a Fursaver on my dog would be Aghast at this and accuse me of having a horrible choke Collar (what they would not know it is the ONLY thing a dog can wear in a competition so they might as well wear it in training and we are forbidden from using the "live" ring that can choke!)

The point is this.. just because you see equipment it does not mean it is being used inappropriately. Read the words too.. and ASK QUESTIONS with an OPEN MIND. It sounds like this particular social media page discussed by the OP was pretty close minded based on the words used. I would still venture questions. A few answers you will know

The ONLY on line dog trainer I follow is Dave Kroyer. He is credentialed and he is balanced in his approach. He has been highly successful in various dog sports including the one I am involved in.

In the end I think the wisdom is to stay off social media when it comes to dog training or putting yourself out there as a dog trainer. Someone will be offended.... and the rest will tell you you are doing it wrong.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You could look up the Fenzi Academy on Instagram. They have an account there now and share a lot of photos and fun things. They're a great online academy and it's all +R. (I am on my work computer so no access to Instagram here, otherwise I'd link it!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts