Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my pups is sold to a lady who just contacted me about her other dog. He was a 7month old pit bull mix rescue. He just died of parvo. Actually was euthanized per vet recommendations.

He was boarded with her friend, for tepid weeks, where supposedly he contracted the virus there, as she picked up another rescue with parvo. The pit bull mix was fully vaccinated.

I have not yet spoke to her vet about this situation. She assured me the dog was not at her residence, since they came back from their trip to get the pup, went right to the vet, and he said the dog was too far gone.

She would have treated him, if it was recommended.

So do I sell her the pup? I know things happen. Yet I'm uncomfortable with this. I feel I should just refund her deposit. Opinions?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I am a firm believer in going with your gut... If it's making you uncomfortable I wouldn't follow through.

Is there anyway to get her vet information, explain who you are and try to verify her claim?

If not, I would just find an excuse to back out and refund her money..........

·
Registered
891 Posts
I am a firm believer in going with your gut... If it's making you uncomfortable I wouldn't follow through.

Is there anyway to get her vet information, explain who you are and try to verify her claim?

This 100%. Listen to your gut. If it were me, I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yes I know her vet, and am sure they will be honest about the issue. I do plan on talking to him Tuesday.

I don't feel the lady is misleading me either. She called me and informed me, so that says something. Yet I still am uncomfortable with the situation.

I have considered keeping the pup until fully vaccinated also.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I am with all the above ... and especially you keeping the pup until it is fully vaccinated ... plus ... if it were me ... I would keep the pup a couple weeks more for the vaccines to actually begin working. I am sure you socialize the pups well yourself and the Mom will have more time to teach the pup some rules .... as to not worry the new owner ............?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Is your concern with the PERSON or with the fact that there was a Parvo case involved? It is your right to back out if you are uncomfortable, but if it's because there was Parvo involved, I'd tell her that's why I was backing out of the sale.

If it's the person that makes you uncomfortable, just tell her that you no longer feel comfortable selling her a dog, Sounds to be like it's the disease that you're concerned over, rather than her ownership.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts

Mmmm, i agree. go with your intuition, if it doesnt feel right then it prolly isnt.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is your concern with the PERSON or with the fact that there was a Parvo case involved? It is your right to back out if you are uncomfortable, but if it's because there was Parvo involved, I'd tell her that's why I was backing out of the sale.

If it's the person that makes you uncomfortable, just tell her that you no longer feel comfortable selling her a dog, Sounds to be like it's the disease that you're concerned over, rather than her ownership.
With parvo. At first I couldn't imagine why the dog was euthanized and no attempt made to save him. The more questions I asked, it seems like he contracted the virus at the sitters, and she did either not recognize a sick dog, or just didn't take him to the vet.

So it sounds that he was so dehydrated, I'm assuming kidneys would have significant damage if not failure. I'll confirm with her vet.
Not sure why a fully vaccinated 7 month old acquired parvo. I know vaccines aren't 100%, though it still worries me.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i would go with your gut.... also i would be thinking, if she has to go away, is this dog going to go to the sitter where the other dog contracted parvo? thats not a safe place for any dog to be.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm going to be the odd one out here and say that you should still sell her the pup.

Just because her other dog got sick doesn't mean she is a bad owner. I'm pretty sure that we ALL have had dogs get sick, even some with parvo. Would any of you like to be turned down for a new puppy just because one of your current ones is/was sick? Parvo happens unfortunately. But if she is being truthful in saying that the puppy got sick at the sitters and was never in her home WHILE sick, then I don't see the issue with continuing with the sale. I'm sure she's already heartbroken over losing her other dog. How do you think she will feel when she finds out she can't get the new puppy BECAUSE her other dog died?

If you are really worried about it, talk to her vet. Vaccinate the puppy fully while you still have him/her if it makes you feel better. But IMO, I would still sell her the pup.

But obviously talk to her about not having the pup at that particular persons house since the parvo virus stays around for a long time.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
I think it's a good sign that she was honest with you, and if you don't have any concerns about her as an owner, I think you should still sell her the pup. However, if I were in this position, I'd wait until a couple weeks after the pup was fully vaccinated just to be sure. She could have brought the parvo virus home with her. She should understand why she has to wait a bit longer.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I'm actually in the "sell to" camp, which I did not make clear. If her concern was with the person, I'd say just say no. Disease happens, even when we do our best to prevent it. If her property is clear (as it can be), I would still sell the puppy to her.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd do more research, but unless the vet says something bad, I'd keep the pup until 2 weeks past full vaccination. She could have unknowingly brought parvo into her home.

As to the 7 mo old dog and parvo, vaxxes are not 100%. I got shingles, got it 2 more times and my insurance finally approved me for the vax- I'm just getting over shingles outbreak no. 4. The vax didn't take.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to talk to her vet. She could have lied, or not mentioned it. My biggest thing is she is very upset over losing the other dog, and I would feel terrible to say no now. Then again, I have to do what's best for my dogs.
I do agree with everyone that things can happen. It's not her fault the dog became sick. I once sent a dog to he bred, and she escaped it was horrible, though it worked out in the end. It was three days of Hell with her missing, I was very upset with the stud owner, but things can and do happen.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I'm in the sell-to-her camp too, as long as you're comfortable with her as an owner. If you're not, be honest why, refund any deposit she made and find a different buyer.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the necropsy revealed poisoning. Not parvo. The vet said parvo due to symptoms. He.said since the dog was almost.dead, they didn't even look into the cause at first.

The farm next to where the dog was boarded had set out poison for coyotes. Somehow it was drug onto her property, and no one noticed the dog eat it. So this answers my question of why the vaccine didn't work.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Wow ..... have you decided what you are going to do? That is a down right shame. The poor dog.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Although it's not the owner's fault at all, in your place I think I'd be reluctant to sell her a new puppy knowing the neighbors put out poison. It's so easy for a rat, squirrel, raccoon, fox... any small animal to either carry poisoned bait onto someone else's property, or for them to eat a bunch of poison and make it over to the property before they die. This whole situation sucks, and I feel bad for both of you!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Although it's not the owner's fault at all, in your place I think I'd be reluctant to sell her a new puppy knowing the neighbors put out poison. It's so easy for a rat, squirrel, raccoon, fox... any small animal to either carry poisoned bait onto someone else's property, or for them to eat a bunch of poison and make it over to the property before they die. This whole situation sucks, and I feel bad for both of you!
I believe the puppy was at the sitters/boarders when he got poisoned. The person she is selling the puppy to, it wasn't HER neighbours that put out the poison. It was the sitters neighbours. (if I'm reading and understanding correctly)

If I am correct about the above statement, then I still stick by my previous comment saying you should still sell her the puppy.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Ah, yes. In that case I would also sell her the puppy. Not her fault at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts