Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the dog park and I swear every dog there looked better than that Spaniel that took best of show at Westminster. How the hell did that thing win? I truly wonder if they just pick by random.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Well I dont know much about Sussex Spaniels, but I know that they choose what best represents that particular breed. I'm assuming that out of the classes and breeds, he was the one that best fit the standard to his breed. So he won... simple as that. Maybe the others were not the best they could be for their breed? I dont know?

But again I dont know much about SS's... so I wouldnt know... I'm just saying it how I see it and how I read it. Ya know?
Wonder what others think about it?

Was everyone pretty upset that the SS won?
Nessa

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Aw, I thought Stump was... cute. I was actually delighted that he took it, because there hasn't been much buzz over it and therefore a bunch of breeds were saved from being mass produced to fill the demand of people wanting their own "Westminster winner."

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
More likely you just dislike the look of the breed...since apparently he was a wonderful example of the breed, looks-wise, that would explain why you didn't like him ;). But as we like to say...it's a show based on conformation to the breed standard, not a beauty contest :p

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I thought it was cool an old dog won, personally. :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Aw, I thought Stump was... cute. I was actually delighted that he took it, because there hasn't been much buzz over it and therefore a bunch of breeds were saved from being mass produced to fill the demand of people wanting their own "Westminster winner."
I thought he was adorable as well! And damn for being 10 years old!!! Wow! What a win for such a fighter... and a cutie.
Nessa

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No, people definately weren't upset that he won (being an old underdog with a story). And I just watch it for entertainment without knowing much about the breeds.

It's just that had that dog been in my dog park today, I wouldn't have looked twice. I would like to see a best of show that had a "wow, that dog is amazing!". It would be mine own personal "wow" and certainly based mostly on appearence. But yet I do get wowed occasionally at the dog park and would think that a national competition could beat that.

Just to add, I clicked on the first link (http://www.dogforums.com/8-dog-pictures-forum/46258-bandit-s-age-guessing.html) under the picture forums and said "wow".

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I clicked on the link and thought, "Nice dog," not, "Wow." I watched the Westminster Best in Show this year and when I saw Yes the Standard Poodle's side gait... my heart skipped a beat. That said, I know plenty of people who think Poodles look rediculous, Continental clip or no. I also know from my years showing Miniature Horses that the view is very different in the ring, and dog judges can also put their hands on the dogs to "see" things we can't from the sidelines.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
From what I've seen of Stump he's amazing. For me if it were a top Lab or Golden in my dog park I wouldn't even look twice. It wouldn't really even matter if it's a show dog, working dog, or just a pet. Labs and Goldens just aren't my thing, I find them to be rather boring and don't understand why they have such an overwhelming apeal to others. Just becuase Stump might not be your thing that doesn't make him any less of a dog or make him any less deserving of the win.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't know anything about shows or show dogs except that I enjoy watching them.

But I thought it was great publicity for senior dogs that an older dog won.

Maybe now when we try to adopt out a dog that is 7-8 years old, people will remember that "older" dogs are winners!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
No, people definately weren't upset that he won (being an old underdog with a story). And I just watch it for entertainment without knowing much about the breeds.

It's just that had that dog been in my dog park today, I wouldn't have looked twice. I would like to see a best of show that had a "wow, that dog is amazing!". It would be mine own personal "wow" and certainly based mostly on appearence. But yet I do get wowed occasionally at the dog park and would think that a national competition could beat that.

Just to add, I clicked on the first link (http://www.dogforums.com/8-dog-pictures-forum/46258-bandit-s-age-guessing.html) under the picture forums and said "wow".
Well, if I had my way, either a sight hound or a herder would win every time. That's just the 'look' I prefer. Sussex Spaniels aren't really my type as are a lot of other, more popular breeds. I know my tastes are very different from a lot of peoples, especially on here lol!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
From what I've seen of Stump he's amazing. For me if it were a top Lab or Golden in my dog park I wouldn't even look twice. It wouldn't really even matter if it's a show dog, working dog, or just a pet. Labs and Goldens just aren't my thing, I find them to be rather boring and don't understand why they have such an overwhelming apeal to others. Just becuase Stump might not be your thing that doesn't make him any less of a dog or make him any less deserving of the win.
I'm the same way with the breeds I LOVE and the ones that I like but that don't inspire me the same way.

I believe many people were not expecting Stump to have a real chance at winning, and were rooting for other dogs, so his win kind of shocked their expectations.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Well, if I had my way, either a sight hound or a herder would win every time. That's just the 'look' I prefer. Sussex Spaniels aren't really my type as are a lot of other, more popular breeds. I know my tastes are very different from a lot of peoples, especially on here lol!
I'm right with you on the Herding...you'd have to sub in Sporting for the Sighthounds though. I like some of the sighthounds and some of the working class as well, though...

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
It's just that had that dog been in my dog park today, I wouldn't have looked twice.
That's why you're not a dog show judge! XD

I do somewhat agree (not about the dog in question, but in general; I do sometimes wonder how certain dogs get the big win, while others that look better, to me, don't. But, not an official judge, and even THEY differ in opinion about what the standard exactly is), though. XD

·
Banned
572 Posts
Just got back from the dog park and I swear every dog there looked better than that Spaniel that took best of show at Westminster. How the hell did that thing win? I truly wonder if they just pick by random.

That's your opinion. Now I'll offer mine.

The Sussex that won was an outstanding example of his breed. You may not care for the look of that dog/breed, but no matter how much you may think Westminster or other conformation shows are a beauty contest, I hate to inform you, they're not. The spaniel who won was a culmination of his breeder's hard work, heartbreak, successes and dedication. Out of every group winner, he best fit his breed's Standard. Not all dogs were bred to be cutesy, if you don't like that, then don't watch. I don't see many 10yr old dogs in the local dog park that are in such gorgeous coat or body condition @ that age. Some of them half his age look like "who did it and ran".

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That's your opinion. Now I'll offer mine.

The Sussex that won was an outstanding example of his breed. You may not care for the look of that dog/breed, but no matter how much you may think Westminster or other conformation shows are a beauty contest, I hate to inform you, they're not. The spaniel who won was a culmination of his breeder's hard work, heartbreak, successes and dedication. Out of every group winner, he best fit his breed's Standard. Not all dogs were bred to be cutesy, if you don't like that, then don't watch. I don't see many 10yr old dogs in the local dog park that are in such gorgeous coat or body condition @ that age. Some of them half his age look like "who did it and ran".
Amen! Stump is a lovely example of his breed. Anyone who can look at the junk at the dog park and say Stump is no good is off their rocker.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I gather Sussex Spaniels are supposed to be somewhat....stumpy :D . He's a good-looking dog, even if that breed isn't my cup o' tea. Especially for a 10-year-old dog.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts