Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I started them on chicken livers a couple of weeks ago. They refused to eat it, so I have pureeing it with their vegetables and mixed it with ground beef. This mixture has been a BIG hit with the dogs, although completely disgusting to me. I feed liver twice a week and it's making up roughly 5% of their diet.

I added beef kidneys for the first time on Tuesday. I also put a little pumpkin in there to offset any diarrhea, and everyone had good poops the next morning and no one had to go out in the middle of the night.

I'm wondering how much variety in organs is needed. Is a chicken liver pretty much the same thing as beef or pork? I have beef livers but have yet to feed it. The kidneys I gave them were beef. Should I be adding in turkey or pork organs? Because, I haven't seen that for sale anywhere. I can ask my butcher about them if that is necessary.

I also bought them some beef sweet breads. I have gone back and read a few of my websites, and no one mentions sweet breads. Are they unhealthy or just not as nutritious as the liver and kidneys? Are there any organs besides liver and kidneys that I should be feeding?
Oh, and is tripe a muscle meat or organ meat?

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I consider feeding tripe for trace minerals, not sure what category I put it in.

Organs...I think variety is good. Most important though is good quality liver. It provides vitamins A & D. I give them whatever I can get, and I always can get liver. Sweetbreads are not a very popular items with humans so I don't think most markets carry them. But I think they're great for the dogs.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Luckily liver is the easiest thing for me to get. But I wish I could at least give them pork liver, to add some more variety. I might ask my butcher about that.

And it’s good to know the sweetbreads are healthy.

So far they have had beef, pork, turkey, chicken, and a couple of sardines in water. Is that enough protein sources?

I was hoping to keep this relatively inexpensive and all of the lamb, rabbit, venison, and goat I have seen has been really high.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Yes. It's about the same where I live. I'm trying to convince some neighbors with hunting tags to share when they have an overabundance! I also find that fresh fish in the summer, when I can go fishing, is a nice treat. And canned mackerel is on our menu weekly for a source of oily ocean fish.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sounds like a nice assortment to me. Lamb is good stuff according to the dogs but it is very fatty. Mackerel is a very good source of Omega 3, canned or fresh.

Max gets mainly chicken RMB [backs, wings and carcass] with pork and beef meat and organs. I prefer not to use chicken organs. Turkey wasn't popular. I am starting raw fish as I found a market with many varieties of uncleaned CHEAP small fish. So far Indian mackerel and sardines.

Look up the different livers on nutritiondata. I really like to feed pork liver as it is higher in zinc than beef liver. Turkey liver is astoundingly high in Vitamin A! I declined sweetbreads or beef gizzards as the market called them, didn't seem worth the high price to me. I will try brain no matter the cost next time I see them. According to nutritiondata they all have quite a bit of Omega 3!

Just keep your eyes open for the other stuff. It would be great to feed all the other meats but think how happy the dog is with a simple cheap chicken leg! He won't miss yak or kangaroo meat one bit!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that makes me feel better.

I just wanted to be sure it was well rounded enough. And I will study the nutriotion data site. I was kind of thinking one liver is just as good as another. I plan on looking into that more.

And hopefully I can afford to add in some lamb on occasion. The rabbit I saw was 6.99 lb. They won't be eating that until they learn how to hunt and catch it themselves.;)

And I have some canned mackeral, and raw headless smelt, but they haven't ate that yet. The smelt was kindy high, but I wanted to give it a try and see if they liked it.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just a suggestion on liver;
If you're having problems getting your dogs to eat it 'as is' try giving it to them frozen. This has been discussed here in previous threads. None of mine will eat liver unless frozen. I actually got the idea from other raw feeders who also couldn't get their dogs to touch liver. It's a great treat on those hot days. ;)
Tripe found in stores has been bleached and processed leaving absolutely no nutritional benefits. Green tripe is what you want to feed your dogs if you can get it.
As for the sweetbreads, I haven't really checked into this but I have heard that it is especially good for dogs with pancreatitis. Mine get it once a month.

It sounds as though you're giving your guys a great variety. :)

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a suggestion on liver;
If you're having problems getting your dogs to eat it 'as is' try giving it to them frozen. This has been discussed here in previous threads. None of mine will eat liver unless frozen. I actually got the idea from other raw feeders who also couldn't get their dogs to touch liver. It's a great treat on those hot days. ;)
Tripe found in stores has been bleached and processed leaving absolutely no nutritional benefits. Green tripe is what you want to feed your dogs if you can get it.
As for the sweetbreads, I haven't really checked into this but I have heard that it is especially good for dogs with pancreatitis. Mine get it once a month.

It sounds as though you're giving your guys a great variety. :)

Jihad
The problem with frozen is I have already separated everything into 1lb freezer bags. I then puree it once defrosted and divide it between dogs. If I give it frozen everything has to be repacked into smaller portions for individual dogs.

And what would I package it in? Won't frozen liver just stick to the freezer bag? I don't want to take a chance on them eating plastic. Eventually I would like to try frozen, since it would be less work.

As for the tripe I'm feeding the Merrick before Grain Green Tripe. It’s cooked, so I plan on finding a reasonably priced place to order raw green tripe. But so far they love the canned stuff.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The problem with frozen is I have already separated everything into 1lb freezer bags. I then puree it once defrosted and divide it between dogs. If I give it frozen everything has to be repacked into smaller portions for individual dogs.

And what would I package it in? Won't frozen liver just stick to the freezer bag? I don't want to take a chance on them eating plastic. Eventually I would like to try frozen, since it would be less work.

As for the tripe I'm feeding the Merrick before Grain Green Tripe. It’s cooked, so I plan on finding a reasonably priced place to order raw green tripe. But so far they love the canned stuff.
I don't know how much you feed your dogs. Mine all get at least 1lb on up. I get the beef liver that comes in the small round containers and are just over a lb each. Everyone gets one container. The ones that eat a few lbs or more per meal get something else in addition to the 1lb of liver.

Jihad

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know how much you feed your dogs. Mine all get at least 1lb on up. I get the beef liver that comes in the small round containers and are just over a lb each. Everyone gets one container. The ones that eat a few lbs or more per meal get something else in addition to the 1lb of liver.

Jihad
Right now there getting 4lbs a week for 4 dogs. But only half is liver and the other half is some other kind of organ meat. Right now the other type of organ has been kidneys. I also feed organs twice a week. So that makes 1 lb liver plus 1lb kidneys split up between them with a little ground meat and veggies twice a week.

Did that make sense?

Dusk gets 2 1/2 lbs , Olivia gets 1 1/2 lbs, Dawn gets almost 2 lbs, and Duke gets 1 lb a day. Olivia is dieting right now, so that amount will go up in a couple more weeks. And Dawn's amount will most likely go down a bit, but I'm not sure yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts