Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

A corgi who's not obsessed with food Traning difficult!!

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Love's_Sophie 
#1 · (Edited)
Mochi is now 7 months going on 8 soon. I guess she's in her total teenage years. We joke sometimes she has ADD because she can focus on anything. Not even us, Not even FOOD!!

Training has been difficult. Because sometimes she will get soo excited that she just refuses treats. The good kind too, freeze dried liver, freeze dried chicken, HOTDOGS!!!, and ect.

This morning we are trying to work on heel, i'll click every time she lines up to the correct spot. then i try to give her a treat and she just spits it out!!!

And this was in the morning before breakfast.

I mean she's always been a picky eater with her kibble, but not with treats... This is just recently in the last 2 weeks or so. She's been eating normal.

She's acts normal enough. its just been difficult. I can't get her to focus on me when i try to train her in the park with all the distractions around... Even if i try to wave the treat in front of her face...

Oh and we are enrolled in classes, we are on puppy 2 classes. She's the bad kid in class... ha ha

Any suggestions??

See less See more
#2 ·
A few things you might want to consider...upping the treats to something like SPAM or garlic seasoned chicken/liver and not feeding her for a day (guaranteed to increase motivation)! Working too close to distractions can turn off the appetite...try working at greater distances.

#7 ·
Just keep working in non-distracting places and try to work farther away from whatever she loses her concentration with. I also worked a lot on the command "look" which means look into my eyes. We also worked on "touch" which means touch my hand. Those 2 things really help him focus back on me.

#8 ·
Mahalo is the same way (Corgi mix). It doesn't matter the treat or how good it is, she doesn't want them when she's outdoors. She listens fantastic in the house or in a building like Petsmart, but outside is a whole different story.

Just keep trying and don't give up. Sometimes it's really hard to get their attention, but in the end it really does pay off.

The "watch me" or "look" is very good for them to learn and makes them focus all of their attention on you.

#9 ·
We do touch and watch me's.

The watches only last for a milisecond.

and the touches worked well for the frist 5 or so times. Now she doesn't even do them any more!

But i will definaly keep working on it. It's hard because the park is right across the street from us so distractions are high in my area always.

Maybe i'll start with the back yard instead of the front.

Thanks guys!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.