Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
U.S. Representative Thaddeus McCotter introduced the Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (“HAPPY”) Act, H.R. 3501, which would allow us to claim tax deductions for some pet care expenses. This means that any taxpayer who legally owns one or more pets could take an annual income tax deduction of up to $3,500 for pet care expenses, including veterinary care costs.

That sounds really great to me. If you'd like to send an e-mail to your U.S. representative and urge him/her to support and cosponsor the HAPPY Act, click on the link here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I repeated a thread. I'm new here, so I looked for tax break in the search bar and couldn't find it. Really sorry.

I agree that the source of the money is an issue, and I don't think we should take money from any other cause to support pet care. But I do believe this bill should be considered.

We humans changed the environment so much to our benefit that animals like cats and dogs (and many others) are now unable to live independently in nature. So we are responsible for them and should support people who adopt pets as one way of bringing some relief to this problem.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I thought it sounded like a good idea at first, and then I remembered that the whole reason our country is in the shape it is in is that people are always looking for ways to make things free or reduced. I know many people who went out and bought houses before they were financially ready to take advantage of the tax credit... we have enough pets that aren't adopted/bought for the right reasons, by people that can't take care of them and have no intention of doing anything more than the bare minimum to keep the pet alive and breathing (no vaccinations, no spaying, not even clipping their nails, for God's sake.)

·
Registered
72 Posts
We humans changed the environment so much to our benefit that animals like cats and dogs (and many others) are now unable to live independently in nature. So we are responsible for them and should support people who adopt pets as one way of bringing some relief to this problem.
Ummm...I don't get the logic here. 1st off domestic dog and cats were created by people and have never lived independently in nature. Dogs are not wolves and domestic cat are not tigers.

If you're concerned about environmental changes and wild animals than spending the money on wildlife rescue and rehabilitation organizations, wildlife preserves, parks, natural lands, etc would be a better fit. This is a whole different issue than pet dogs and cats.

I agree that we're responsible for domestic animals (not because of changes to nature but because we created them to be dependent on humans). Even so I don't think we need a tax break to care for our pets for lots of reasons discussed in the other thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts