Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else seen these little guys before? So cute! I'd never heard of them. I was on the AKC site and saw a picture up on the top bar, which got me curious. They have the Papillon-ear adorableness thing going for them, don't they? That ear-fringe is amazing!

I guess they're still really rare outside of Russia, thought the AKC is registering them thru their Foundation Stock Service.

·
Registered
509 Posts
They look like a mix of Rat Terrier & Chihuahua :)

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Yes, I've heard of them. They're weird looking though. Every month or so I go through my dog book to see if I can guess which breed is which in there. *rolls eyes*

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
They look chihuahua and pappi mix.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Yes I have seen Russkiy Toys and would like one but DH doesn't go for the toy dogs. They are such tiny little things. I would be worried of hurting them myself. Maybe one day far off in the future I will finally be able to have a toy dog. Not all have the hair around the ears, some is short hair. The other toy breed I like is Chinese Crested. So I like kind of "weird" dogs.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I have seen Russkiy Toys and would like one but DH doesn't go for the toy dogs. They are such tiny little things. I would be worried of hurting them myself.
That's the main reason I didn't get a longhaired Chi, because I'm paranoid about their moleras and sheer tinyness. They're pretty little things, though.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I've heard of them but didn't know they were FSS yet. I think I'll stick with my papillons though as I much prefer their look. They remind me of min pins with pap ears. If I ever get another toy breed it's going to be a Chinese Crested. We almost got them instead of papillons, actually.

Anything with big, hairy ears though is a plus in my book. :D

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Gah! I had no idea what a molera was, but now that I know, I am totally terrified of ever having to deal with a Chihuahua again! Honestly...what if I broke its head?!?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
We get one in our shelter occasionally since there is a breeder in the next state over. Their fur and ear fringes are very fine like baby hair and matts very easily, even the body. I've shaved a few. And the temperments of the ones that I've dealt with are awful...snappish, fear biting, very aggressive, dominant...not very nice. The usualy scenario with those dogs is that they get adopted out multiple times since they are often returned when they don't fit in with the family. Most people get them because they are SO tiny (don't know the breed standard but the ones I've seen are 4-7 pounds) and they don't want a chi. They get a Russian and it's worse yet.

I'll stick with my paps.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Actually, Misty never had a molera.. I know it's common, but she just.. didn't have one. And she wasn't so tiny she was breakable and you had to be paranoid about where you stepped. And she's a Chihuahua. It's not as nerve-racking as you may think to own a Chihuahua, hahah.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Anything with big, hairy ears though is a plus in my book. :D
Some Cresties can grow quite a bit of ear fringe too. Icesis came with her ears grown pretty long; I'm considering letting it grow out again though I do like the 'foxy' look she has now with them shaved.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
We get one in our shelter occasionally since there is a breeder in the next state over. Their fur and ear fringes are very fine like baby hair and matts very easily, even the body. I've shaved a few. And the temperments of the ones that I've dealt with are awful...snappish, fear biting, very aggressive, dominant...not very nice. The usualy scenario with those dogs is that they get adopted out multiple times since they are often returned when they don't fit in with the family. Most people get them because they are SO tiny (don't know the breed standard but the ones I've seen are 4-7 pounds) and they don't want a chi. They get a Russian and it's worse yet.

I'll stick with my paps.
That's interesting to know. I've never even seen one. That's my main draw to papillon- they have such a nice friendly personality in general. Sure I've met a couple nasty ones but across the board they're mostly very even tempered dogs. Of course the Russkiys you've met might come from a really bad breeder considering they're ending up in a shelter.

Some Cresties can grow quite a bit of ear fringe too. Icesis came with her ears grown pretty long; I'm considering letting it grow out again though I do like the 'foxy' look she has now with them shaved.
If I ever get a crestie, it'll probably be a powderpuff. I don't know that I could handle skin care for a hairless. But I love a good hairless with big hairy ears. :D They look like little punk rockers.

Of course it's possible their breeder is not the best too since they're ending up in shelters..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our family had two Russian Toy Terriers and a Briard. Our Russian Toys were imported from Europe when a friend went to the World Dog Show in Poland several years ago.

They have exceptional temperaments, and get along wonderfully with our children, Briard, and our Siamese cat. They rarely bark, are amazingly intelligent, understanding so much of what we say (we have to spell many words like "car, treat, kitty, puppy, outside and sleep,) to avoid sending them to the door, their dish or their beds or crate. They have learned to ring a bell to go outside (we did not teach them this they learned by example through our Briard). They are very agile and I can honestly say they seem to know how to stay out from underfoot because they have never come close to being stepped on and we have a very active home life.

I am very surprised that they end up in a shelter since there are only two or three legitimate breeders in the US and the puppies sell for $1,500-$2,000.Their coats are really short and the only long hair is on the ears so matting is never a problem.

I do not usually respond to posts but since RTT's are so very rare in the US I feel feedback from owners is important to maintain accurate information concerning the breed.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I know this is not on the subject, but I just wanted to throw out there that yesterday I went into Petsmart to get new collars for my pibbles, and I saw my first ever hairless Chinese Crested. She was so pretty and such a great temperment! I generally do not prefer smaller breeds, but this dog was truly a gorgeous, lovable little thing. I had a brief moment of dog envy :)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know this is not on the subject, but I just wanted to throw out there that yesterday I went into Petsmart to get new collars for my pibbles, and I saw my first ever hairless Chinese Crested. She was so pretty and such a great temperment! I generally do not prefer smaller breeds, but this dog was truly a gorgeous, lovable little thing. I had a brief moment of dog envy :)
I like that they have that toy breed gracefulness, but aren't fragile the way some other small breeds are.

I am very surprised that they end up in a shelter since there are only two or three legitimate breeders in the US and the puppies sell for $1,500-$2,000.Their coats are really short and the only long hair is on the ears so matting is never a problem.
They're really appealing to me, I like the short hair plus fringe 'look'. Their temperaments sound wonderful, too!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
This is an absolutely stunning boy that I found on a website a while back. There is a second photo of him and a smooth girl.

http://www.toyterrierdogs.com/samurai.htm

In Spaniels my favorites are the solid colors, and I be hard pressed to avoid the temptation of sneakin' away with this guy if I ever was close enough.

SOB

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
That's the main reason I didn't get a longhaired Chi, because I'm paranoid about their moleras and sheer tinyness. They're pretty little things, though.
We have a long haired Chihuahua, he turns out to be bigger than my Papillons LOL. He's 8 lbs now! And longer than my Pap too. Im not sure if he ever had a molera but I don't think so since the vet never mentioned anything and we got him at 9 weeks old.

I made a post on Russian Toys a long time ago because I saw the fringe and thought Papillon. According to most people though, their temperament is more like Chihuahuas than Paps since Paps are hyper and outgoing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts