Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... some of you surely know that Snowball is leash/barrier reactive. When we got him last July, I would never have guessed that we would have been able to have him on-leash around other dogs, period. But yesterday we went to a local pet event (at 1:00 gives you an idea) with TONS of dogs, on leash, all around us... and Snowball didn't even bark once. He didn't even pull on the leash. There was absolutely no hint of the maniacally barking, lunging mad-dog that came out when dogs got within 50 feet of us one year ago. His ears were up, his mouth was open, his tail wagged...He was completely calm and relaxed the entire time. He even got several compliments on how calm and friendly he was!

We still have a bit of work to do... we cheated a bit by going to an off-leash walk immediately prior to joining the throng which usually negates his reactivity (but even then, I wasn't sure whether we'd have to leave early), but even his reactivity on regular walks has improved massively; the threshold is down to about 15 feet, from the ~50 foot threshold he had when we got him.

So that's my brag, but I also just wanted to thank everyone. I know it wasn't you who trained him, but it really helps knowing that there are people out there who have gone (or are going) though the same thing, who share ideas when someone gets stuck, and will intelligently answer (my) stupid questions. And I guess ask you guys - what have your dogs done recently that you want to brag about?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Congratulations! Great job to both of you! :D

My brag is on Eddee ... he was a shelter dog who had been scolded for going potty .... suddenly after a whole year of blood, sweat, and tears for me from patiently training .... he is finally potty trained ... hasn't done poo in the house since February! :)

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! And Abbylynn, congrats on Eddee finally overcoming his housebreaking issues. You must be so thrilled!

Congrats! I should send tank to you :p he isn't da he just gets so worked up!
That is Snowball's problem too. We figured out it was exasperated by him being excited to begin with - so the start of walks, when he's excited to be going on a walk, are worse than the end, etc. Same with the off-leash park - if he has a few minutes to work his excitement out before we come across other dogs, he's a total gentleman.

Congratulations, you two! It's always good to know that hard work does pay.
Totally how I feel. For the longest time it just didn't seem to matter how much we worked on it, it didn't get better; then all of a sudden we noticed we had a well behaved dog around other dogs. It still takes me by surprise sometimes.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Congrats! That's a huge accomplishment.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Congrats.
Progress in training is always a great story to tell.

Roman also shows progress in reading my commands the other day hiking.
New trail too... And at this point in repeats, he can be trusted totally leash free and stay with us.
But that is old news.

At the bridge, we came across a first timer hiker of this trail like us and also her leash free dog. A rare breed... Griffon something.
Cool friendly dog like Roman. Both of us owners OKed the dog interaction... So Roman and that dog sniff each other and stuff while we talk about this place how great it is for kayaking etc.
After a while woman turned to leave with her dog in tow...
Roman wanted to follow.
All I said was "(Stay) with us Roman" and sure enough my boy turned back from where he is going and came back to our spot... Immediate reaction too.

Roman also showed us he "knows" about cars as he did this for the 2 bridges spanning this trail...
He either waited for us to catch up or came back to look for his group.. U turned when he got to the bridge.
Sat, waited for his leash to be on before crossing the road the bridge is on.

Love it when they show "progress".

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Congratulations! Great job to both of you! :D

My brag is on Eddee ... he was a shelter dog who had been scolded for going potty .... suddenly after a whole year of blood, sweat, and tears for me from patiently training .... he is finally potty trained ... hasn't done poo in the house since February! :)
Awesome accomplishments.
Yay Eddee!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts