Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last week my daughter and son-in-law came to see us on Sunday and brought their female older border collie mix with them. Tweed and she didn't exactly get along--they played sometimes, but mostly Tweed was interested in the sexual aspect of their relationship--well, he's only a puppy (6.5 months) and had never had that experience before. We separated them most of the time. They left midday on Friday.

On Tuesday I went to the vet and picked up some new meds for him, because he was out of heartworm medicine. I was expecting to pick up Revolution, but they gave me Trifexis instead. Told me to make sure he had a stomach full when he took it, and that I should watch him in case he should upchuck.

I followed the directions, and that evening when giving him his food I noticed he wasn't too keen on eating--I just thought that he was too distracted with the other dog around. He finally finished and I gave him the pill.

Since then he's been off and on eating his kibble. I thought he'd be fine once the other dog left, but this morning he was definitely not interested! He has plenty of energy, and takes his dog treats for training just fine. I give him Purina Puppy Chow, one cup in the am and one in the pm. Stools are normal.

Should I take him to the vet? Any suggestions what might be the matter?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
'Scuse me for bumping this, but no one has commented. If no one comments after the bump, I'll take it there really aren't any opinions.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What kind of dog is he and how much does he weigh?

Has he always eaten this way, or is this pretty normal for him?

With you saying he has energy and his stools are normal, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it.

I would think if it was the new meds, his stools probably wouldn't be normal, as well as maybe throwing up.

Curious though why they switched the meds. Did you ask?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is a rescue, probably Cocker Spaniel mix, maybe with Australian Shepherd.

He weighs 21.5 pounds at 6.5 months.

Ever since we've had him he practically inhales his twice a day feedings. It disappears within a minute, and he burps afterwards (it's funny!). So this is completely new and different for him to be uninterested in his meal.

They didn't switch the meds...our former dog died, and since he was in the weight range for it, we used up her last three doses on him. When we took him to the vet to get a refill, they suggested the switch. I think it must just be the brand that particular vet likes best or gets a kick-back from.

I have offered him his meal twice now and he wasn't interested, so I put it back up instead of leaving it out for him to snack on. He has been taking his training treats just fine, so it's possible he just isn't as hungry: but that's never stopped him before. At any rate, he won't get any training treats today because I won't be home, and perhaps he'll be hungry enough to reset his apestat by this evening's feeding time. If not, I'm taking him to the vet instead of the groomer's this week (can't afford both!).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Did he perhaps get a taste of the other dogs food when she was visiting? Perhaps just "waiting" for something different?

Also, it's possible he is just slowing down through a growing phase and just isn't as hungry right now. But I understand that concern since it's not the norm for him. If his energy is good, as well as poops and personality, I wouldn't worry too much, yet.

Hopefully he will be his normal self tonight! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts