Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alternative title: Beach dog loves the beach!

We adopted Biscuit (through a rescue group) from a high-kill shelter in rural South Carolina a little over a year ago. Last week, we went on vacation to Hilton Head Island. Gators aside, I think it's safe to say Biscuit liked South Carolina a little bit more this time around.

We went to the Outer Banks (in NC) around this time last year, but this trip was much better, at least for the dog. Last year: terrible weather, only 6 weeks post-adoption, and a badly sprained leg halfway through the week. This year: slightly less terrible weather, security in knowing who her people are, and a recall solid enough for off-leash runs on the beach - every afternoon!

[video]https://vimeo.com/48656861[/video]
(Biscuit is not a water dog, but she sure does like running around!)

Not to mention that until about a month ago, Biscuit refused to use the bathroom in any new location until she had visited it about 10 times and was absolutely sure there were no grizzly bears there. As you might imagine, this made road trips a real joy. Following 9 months of clicker potty-on-command training (with some very helpful hints from trainingjunkie - THANK YOU!), Biscuit seems to have finally learned the art of truck-stop peeing. Good for her. And for us.

Thanks for looking!

PS -- does anyone know how to embed Vimeo videos on here? The button is not working...

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Haha Biscuit looks like she had a blast. Love near the end of the video when her back end slips a bit and she turns around looking to see what 'grabbed' her. Jubel wasn't overly impressed with the beach when we went two years ago to the Outer Banks. Neither the beach side or sound side, or the pool at our rented house were truely enjoyed. He drank too much ocean and pool water and ended up with loose poo.

Glad Biscuit's second go around with the beach worked out much better, not sure how long it'll be until Jubel gets a second sho at the beach.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Biscuit REFUSED to get in the pool. I convinced her to step in with her front paws, but she wanted no part of "swimming." I probably could have convinced her eventually, but it didn't seem worth the effort. We had enough fun watching her spaz at the beach.

My high-pitched "talking to dog" voice makes me cringe!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts