Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 9 month old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. We have had her since New Years and "rescued" her from a puppy store where she looked miserable.

Anyway, we have been trying our hardest to house break her to no avail. She seems to have no idea what to do once outside. She just stands there and stares at me. She can walk miles on the leash, never once going potty. I feel horrible, but it's to a point where she is outside for an hour or two just to be sure she has gone (we never know?!?!)

She honestly does not know that outside = potty. I do not have time to stand there for hours waiting and playing her game either. I'm at a loss and very frustrated.
Any advice?
She is in a crate or watched while inside. She gives no signs she is about to go. Does not sniff, circle...nothing. Just randomly squats and we are never quick enough to catch while she's doing it (and yes, she will even go in the crate!)
Help!

·
Registered
721 Posts
IME this is very common with pet store puppies, your best bet is a schedule in which you take her out every hour or so and praise/treat when she goes. You should have the treats outside with you so as soon as she goes you give her a treat (a high vale one that she really likes) as soon as he finishes. It will take some time to get her to understand.
Some dogs do not give a sign they are going to go and some are very noticeable so you may also be able to leash her to you to prevent accidents in the house.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
it's not a game she is playing with you... she is honestly "backwards by first learning environment" ... My Major pup was born in an open basement in Nov,, they never took the pups outside, never gave them the opportunity to learn anything, just let them poop and pee on the floor where they were when it happened for them.. That was so strong in him when I brought him home.. So dogs that will hold it when they in the house until they get outside .. so will a pup hold it outside until they get back inside....... not the pups fault.... Even an adult dog my elderly military Mal.. all she had known with her previous handler before me was to ride in the vehicle and then come and chill out back at the kennel during the handlers patrol duty ,, then right back into the kennel after duty.. To get that dog to actually poop/pee away from the kennel of taking her on walking patrols every night was to finally keep her away from the kennel area until she couldn't hold it any more.. Major grew out of it too... but it was sticking to the basics of potty training as your doing.. And try to find activities that you will be gone away from home longer then usual to give them an opportunity to pee and poop out side.. your pups in a tough spot, breaking them out of what she learned at the pet shop.... Hang in there and know that they need you to help them get through it..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts