Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night we got a foster dog! Her ID is currently "90" until we give her a name. (Name suggestions welcome, we have a few top picks already but need to get to know her better before we decide). We are fostering her through a really great rescue. The only info I have is that she was in a home with about 70 chihuahuas, who were all in surprisingly good health other than needing nails clipped and getting baths but even then the nails aren't horrific. None are emaciated or obese. She is 4 years old. Yesterday she was spayed, vaccinated, microchippped, had some teeth pulled, and her left eye was enucleated. I don't know what happened to her eye. The current setup for 90 is a crate within an x-pen. When I first opened the crate she darted out, scrambled around, and darted back in. So I locked the door and swapped the 2 ft pen for the really tall 4 ft pen. I took the door off her crate so she doesn't get accidentally blocked out of it. There is a potty pad, water bowl, and next to the crate is another bed. She will be confined to the pen until I've built enough trust to put a harness on her- she might be allowed to wander in the living room before that point. But she's never had a leash on and I'm scared she'd shake a collar off, so she won't be outside until she can be in a harness. Thus the potty pads! She's also staying in the pen at night, and I feel bad having her by herself downstairs but imo that's better right now than shocking her even more with another new environment upstairs in the bedroom. Last night she was quiet, and used the potty pad. We're working up to hand feeding, currently she won't eat food off a spoon that I'm holding but she has a good appetite. I've touched her once, stroked her back a little, paused, pet a little more, pause. She glances at me when I stop but I'm not sure if it's a "why'd you stop, that was nice" or a "oh god what are you going to do to me" so I stopped. Today she's mostly been sleeping, and watching things. Meet 90.
Ugh what happened to formatting on DF?!?! I guess we don't get paragraph breaks and spaces anymore??

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
90 has a name! We're calling her Valkyrie (Val, Vallie). The past few days we've had awesome progress. She came to day school today and stayed in a pen in the corner. She went outside on leash. She has come up to me several times today and put paws up on my leg to ask to be picked up- she loves to snuggle into my neck.

First time outside on Friday. Unfortunately she got swarmed by red ants. We're getting those killed asap.

Good news, she likes pizza! Val very quickly figured out that we toss bits of bread, cheese, meat, whatever we're eating.

Outside on leash for the first time at my parents house today! This is the initial freaked out face.

You can tell when a dog isn't used to being picked up. "What do I with my hands?!" was the caption from a DFer.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Valkyrie is adventuring! It's as scary as it is fun.

At work

This dog is for pick up! Hold this one!

Parents house. She's equal parts having fun and terrified.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love your photos! She's looking like she's having a great time and learning a ton!

Valkyrie is a great name! Especially for a tough, buff little lady like her. Looks like she's warming up to the world!
She's shocking me with how quickly she's coming around! She's trying so hard.

Climbing stairs!

Mlem

Bath day today! Val still has no idea what to do with her hands when she's picked up.

Most of her bath, she stood up with front paws around my arm. Fine by me, whatever helps her. I tucked them down and supported this way to get a pic without her escaping.

Me: Go explore!

Val: This dog is for holding.

https://scontent.fapa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/37049983_10104649165896263_2527725374821892096_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a8394f6be4260c62e29a4cbea4c7181d&oe=5BD84DDE

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

She still doesn't know what to do with her hands when she's picked up, but she's getting there!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy National Dog Day, from Valkyrie!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your photos caused a huge stir of emotion. Sadness for this little girl. Anger that someone could be so irresponsible. But mostly, joy that she found her way to you!
I love seeing pics of her at play with the bigger dogs, chillin' with the cat and snuggled by you. She is safe and loved--probably for the first time in her life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts