Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Male Siberian Husky, has been around my daughters two min pins for 7 years, when ever they went in heat he just ignored it, Last summer I went to a friends cabin and her Lab/mix was in heat, My dog just went nuts, crying, panting, even had his p"""is out and trying to mate her, Now my daughters min pin is in heat and he is again going crazy, he even nipped at my daughter which he has never done!! what can I do? should I call the Vet on Monday? Any home remedies I will consider. thank you

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Some males are just like that. I would keep him away from the female and anybody he could bite. Maybe board him at the vet or a boarding kennel until she's out of heat. And have the female spayed so he doesn't have to go through it again.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
You need to keep him AWAY from bitches in heat, no what size, because some dog or someone could get hurt in the attempts. He also shouldn't be around them "trying" any thing. Determined dogs will find a way and you can't separate a male and female once they're tied. Keep them apart and deal with the whining or fix someone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is what i do not understand, he has been around females in heat many many times. why all of a sudden he shows this kind of behavior? notice i said he is a Siberian (BIG DOG) and she has Min Pin (Little Dog) He could not get "tied" up with a dog that size? he has been fixed since he has been one year old, why all of a sudden is he doing this, I guess I will call the vet, I am the Alpha is our house so I just put my foot down, and I am making him lay on the floor. Remember these dogs have been together for 7 years, The female has never had puppies she is 9 there are enough unwanted animals in this world, she will never be bred, I thought maybe someone has some ideas, but I guess I will be the crabby mom and keep him by me.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I'm not saying it may be physically possible for them to tie, but someone could very well get hurt in the process and probably the smaller dog.

I am dumb however (been up since 5 AM) and totally glossed over the neutered part. Oy vey. Anyway, the balls may be gone but sometimes heats trigger responses in altered dogs. My Elkhound has been altered for a long time but a bitch in heat will make him pant, pace, and get rude with other dogs.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Welcome to the birds and the bees :)

I got my Lab mix fixed at 6 mos. No issues for 8 years. Someone came to the dog park, 2 weeks out of heat. MY dog got a whiff and I learned about the birds and the bees! We separated them after the female smiled but before they tied.

My Vet refused to "fix" him again, but she did have a good smile over my story. Now my dog is interested! I specifically taught him Not to hump when he was 4 mos old. I don't know how to stop an 11 yo from trying to hump. He tries to hump, the female snarks him, he does a play bow and says, "hey baby I was just fooling around," and tries it again. Persistence works. When the female sees that he is not aggressive, just persistent... she will let him have his way.

As someone said a little more seriously, once they get a whiff and the urge, you have to restrain them...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
notice i said he is a Siberian (BIG DOG) and she has Min Pin (Little Dog) He could not get "tied" up with a dog that size?
Oh yes he can. I've seen plenty of large dogs tied with smaller ones. Yes, the male being the larger, and the bitch being the smaller.
It's quite possible. Just had a neighbor whose chihuahua mix was DANGLING from the male because he lowered himself to tie then stood up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts