Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, obviously, I am new to this forum. I have pored over the web trying to find tips, advice, education, etc... on training my pup. I've had her over a week now (8 days) and she is 9 weeks exactly. She- is a fiesty, stubborn shih tzu pup that looooves to bark and pee/poo on our carpet then look up with those puppy dog eyes as to say "what's the problem?" :mad:

We have introduced the crate to her, funished with a ticking clock, two chew toys, a towel side and a plastic side (depending on if she wants to lay on cool or warm surface) and a "used" tank top of mine. In the beginning 1st and 2nd day she would go in and out as she pleased... as I started to up the time, she would begin to cry/whine/bark. VERY LOUDLY.

My bf works finance time in the west coast so he is up early... think 5AM. We live in an apt with pretty thin walls, and whenever someone is up, she is cry/whine/barking loudly for attention. We have her crate in a babygated kitchen, she is free to roam a teeny kitchen.

During the day I try to play with her in the living room, which is carpetted (she has had plenty accidents) with my other dog, a 3 yr old yorkie.<-should I stop?? Lucy (the baby) cries/barks for attention any time we are not physically with her and she is alone in the kitchen. While in the kitchen blocked off area, she is about 75% on the puppy pad. Am rewarding her with treats and praise everytime I catch a "good one." The barking is the worse in the morning as I would HATE my neighbors to hate me. ugh. :eek: I've tried to ignore her and it's not working. So I wait for a break and go feed her.

1. What should I do/am I doing wrong?? please be as detailed as possible cuz I've never dealt with a dog that displays this aggressively of bad behavior. my yorkie was a saint!
2. Is 9 weeks too young to train her??
3. Should I let her sleep in my bed and wake her up every few hours to take her to potty?? I'm desperate for my neighbors (and myself) to get some sleeep. really desperate. 1 full week of 5 AM barking!!!!!!!

Please help me~!

Jen

·
Registered
286 Posts
Keep the puppy in a small gated area such as the kitchen. Don't let the puppy have access to carpeted areas. Take the puppy out very, very often, no less than every 2-3 hours. Praise the puppy for doing good. Use wee pads only if necessary. Separate from other animals until there has been adequate time to acclimate. Don't give water at night. You will be getting up early for a long time with a small puppy. My dog is 5 months old and I have been up at 5:00 for 3 months now. Yes, it is tiring but it too shall pass when the puppy gets older.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Agree with all of the above.

Also think you need to stimulate her more. Do some exercise in the house with her, play a lot, and tire her out, do training lessons, and you should take some obedience classes for socialization and manners.

She's a baby and you've had her 8 days, give her time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts