Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
puppies bite and growl all the time but it's within a normal "context" ie the pup is playing with a toy so there is some growling= Normal. Someone approaches to puppy and goes to pet it on the head and the puppy mouths the hand coming at him.=Normal. The puppy in an excited state chases you while you are running and nips at your pants leg=Normal. All of these things have normal triggers. But the fearful puppy, the unsocialized puppy is going to overreact to things that we normal folk don't see coming. Once you go down that path of education and enlightenment about fear reactive dogs you lean to read the signs. Most of us (myself included) don't know the signs and have to learn them. We find a really good R+ trainer with experience with fearful, reactive and aggressive dogs to evaluate the puppy and tell us what they think is going on. And so that's going to be my recommendation as well. Or a behaviorist.

Does your friend have a lot of experience with dogs to know what is normal puppy behavior?

And just to toss it out there, a puppy in pain will bite and growl for no apparent reason. It takes a good vet sometimes to find out the cause of the pain. I throw this one out there because my heart dog, Charlie, once tried to take a chunk out of a vet techs hand in an exam room one day. I was shocked at the time because He was the perfect saint of a dog, loved everyone, well behaved around all people and kids, not fearful etc etc. It turned out that he had an infected tooth.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts